Hot Rod Forum banner

427 tall deck question

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  NvrGrwUp 
#1 ·
I have just recently aquired a tall deck 427. I would like to know who(or where) produces perfomance parts for these engines? What can I get ,aftermarket for 'em, and what can I interchange?
I have pretty much always dealt with SB chevy's. I know the basics remain the same, but must admit to being slightly intimidated by the BB's.
Thanks, in advance for any help.......Konrad

#2 ·
All the parts are pretty much the same for the 427 tall block and short block, except the intake manifold and distributor. Since the tall block is a truck engine, it is going to have some real clunky pistons (4 rings instead of 3), a real sluggish cam and a distributor with governor. A good set of pistons, mild cam and aftermarket distributor will make the engine run pretty well. Used to be that you would have to use spacers to run a decent intake manifold but there are now tall block manifolds available from Dart and others. As I recall the truck engine used a huge water pump too, pass car pump can be installed. Have fun.

"Hotrodder is NOT a nasty word"
"Too much horsepower is just enough"

#5 ·
There are a few manufacturers that make intakes with a regular distributor height location so any standard GM or aftermarket distributor can be used. The only other consideration that I can think of is being the decks are .400" taller, regular headers usually don't fit well.

I do believe the truck engines have a steel crank in them also, which is good. And as stated above, they are an internal balanced assembly.

I have a friend that has a tall deck in a 68 Camaro that spins it to 7500 regularly and sometimes to 8000RPM. Stock GM crank and aftermarket rods.

Good Luck, you have a good engine to build on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.