Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 427td intake spacer help
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dude View Post
hi, i found a secondhand intake that i really like, its an EDELBROCK TR-2X TUNNEL RAM but its for a rec port bbc, my motor is a 1974 427 tall deck with oval port heads, i know ill need the spacers for a std bbc to fit my tall deck, but will the rec port intake bolt on to the spacers and oval port head??? if not is there any way i can get this intake to work on my motor with out machineing, i googled it but i have got alot conflicting answers,any help would be great, thanks
OK, first a caveat. Do what I did at your own risk.......here, sign this.....

Many years ago when we were racing go-karts, I used JB Weld to re-shape the intake port on a Briggs 4-stroke. It made a killer motor out of it. So, if I can do it with a Briggs, you can do it with a BBC. This stuff ain't rocket surgery.

Assuming that you really, really, really like this intake manifold and can't live without it and assuming that you really, really, really like these heads and can't live without them, I would proceed like this.

I'd clean the intake with hot, soapy water in the runners, then glass bead or sandblast the last 2-3 inches of the runners so that JB Weld or other epoxy would stick to the aluminum. I'd bolt up the oval port spacer plates on each side of the intake and begin applying and smoothing epoxy to the inside of the runners with my fingers to merge into the oval port shape and size.
Jomar High Performance Engine Parts and Tools - Aluminum AN Fitting Wrenches
While I was at it, I think I'd epoxy the plates to the manifold to make it a one-piece arrangement. I also think I'd figure a way to include a fine stainless, aluminum, copper or brass mesh screen between the plates and the heads to catch any epoxy that might break off.
Aluminum wire mesh data, prices, helpful information
I suspect that any hardware store would sell it in small quantities, stainless, copper, brass, aluminum. I'd sandwich it between two intake gaskets.

OK, there it is, leaving myself wide open for lambasting. Let the critics in....