428 Ford Builder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2002, 06:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 428 Ford Builder

What is a 428 Ford Builder motor worth? The bore & stroke = factory specs but does anyone know how to decipher the codes C4AE 5075 A for the block and C8AE H 8815 & 8819 for the heads?

Thanks, Steve

Denver, Colorado

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2002, 12:47 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

Well according to my part number book here, what you have isnt a 428 at all. It says its a High Performance 1964 427 block. (C=196?, 4=1964, A=out of a ford car, E= engine group, 5075 means its an engine, and A is the deciding factor that tells us its a 427 hipo.) As for the heads, they come up as 1968 428 heads with 2.02 and 1.55 valves and 70cc chambers. The ports measure 2.34" x 1.34" intake and 1.84" x 1.34" exaust.

Now this really doesnt make any sence, are you sure you read the numbers off the block right? You said its an origional engine right? Who in their right mind would put 428 heads on a 427? If the numbers really are C4AE then it couldn't possibly be a 428 becuase the C4 means 1964 and they didnt even make 428s till 1966. If it is a 427 you could get a pretty penny for it being in great condition and all. I've read you dont want to bore a 427 any more than .030 over due to is huge 4.23 inch bore. If it is, it has to be resleeved, making a stock bore 427 even that much more desirable. However it doesn't state anything in my book about being a side oiler, having cross bolted mains, or solid lifters, which probably means that its not. If you found some 427 heads it could sell for even more. A 427 high riser side oiler currently for sale is for $5,400 on ebay.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:42 PM

Smile

What ever it is you won't get any money for it. Just ship it to me and I'll make sure it gets melted down for something of good use. I mean, whats a 427. Hahaha. He's right, the 427 could be worth some money if it is truly a 427. I don't know why anyone would put 428 heads on them either. Carol Shelby didn't pick the 427 to put in some of the cobras for no reason. But seriously, ship it to me and I'll make sure the metal is put to a good use.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The 428 heads flow better than the medium riser 427 heads that probably came on that block. This was once a common rod trick back when you could find them laying in the junkyard. Keep the 428 heads unless you are trying to restore for originality.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:21 PM

Sorry to disappoint but C4AE-A could be anything from a 352 to 391 truck engine to 427. Ford casting numbers on blocks are notoriously unreliable. As for the heads C8AE-H were used on EVERYTHING from trucks to Mustang 390 GT's. these heads are probably the most common FE head out there. If the Crank has 1U or 1UA or 1UB or U then you (no pun intended) have a 428 crank.
JR

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.