428 smokes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2002, 06:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 428 smokes

I supertuned my 428 Pontiac last night. I was running at 8 BTDC and over heating so I thought I'd advance the timing. I turned the dist. to try to get it to idle smooth and run its fastest. I had to turn it quite a bit. I used the vacuum gauge to set it to make vacuum. I then checked it with the light. I ended up setting it a 12 BTDC. I then fine tuned the idle on the Carter AFB and again set it for make max vacuum which all I could get was 16". It idles real smooth and runs fine. It goes from 0 to 60 right now.

Here's the problem. When I get on it, into the secondaries, I get a lot of white smoke. It smells like oil but its white. To me that means unburned gas. It doesn't do it if I just accellorate slowly or step on it without putting it to the floor. It has a auto trans with new modulator. It runs at 195 when driving but continues to get hot if I let it sit and idle. After getting to 210 it is had to turn over but will start once it loosens up after a few turns. I can't get any more than 16" of vacuum but it is steady. Bad rings? I haven't checked to see if the vacuum advance is working (tonights project). Could that be part of the problem? No problem with power. It takes that old 66 Catalina convert and will snap your head back.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2002, 07:48 AM

Black smoke... your running rich.
White smoke... your burning oil.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:31 AM

Did some checking on the 428 last night. The vacuum advance works fine. I pulled it open with a vacuum pump and got plenty of advance. I was checking the electric fan to make sure it was running correctly and sure enough it had blown a fuse. I hooked it back up and it ran but in the wrong direction. When I originally installed it I made sure I had it running to push air through the rad. I have it mounted in front of the rad. It has a reversible blade that can make it push or pull. Later after my parade run and it overheated I checked it again and it was blowing in the wrong direction so I took it apart and flipped the blade. Now it is running backwards again. This time I just reversed the polarity on the motor and got it running in the right direction. If it flips again I'll change polarity again. Has this happened to anyone else?

Anyway, with the timing boosted 4 degress and the carb adjusted and the electric fan working correctly it is running at a comfortable 195. I tried running parade speed and it will get up to just under 200. I let it idle and it will raise it another 1/2 degree. I think that after all these years I finally have it running right with a lot of thanks to this forum. It was a cool night on my test drive and I will try it today when temp will reach 90. Apparent it is true that for every 1 degree of retarded timing you get 10 degrees of additional heat.

I also checked the plugs and they are black. I know I have a ring problem with the low steady vacuum and the white smoke that I get out of one side when I get on it. Would a hotter plug help to reduce the carbon build up on the plugs?
Old 08-28-2002, 06:59 AM

http://www.centuryperformance.com/spark.htm Heres some good info.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:22 AM

Just to let everyone know, the 428 DON'T SMOKE NO MORE!. As it turns out the smoking was caused by not enough intake air for the pcv system. I have a pcv valve hooked to the pass. side valve cover then to the bottom of the Carter AFB. On the other cover I have a twist cap for filling with oil. I loosened the cap to get some air flow. When it was loose it did not smoke (it feel off on one of my test drives). I tightened it up and the smoke was back. I bought a nice chrome twist on breather cap, problem solved. I also think that this helps the car run a little cooler.

A good leason learned about the importance of having a good working pcv system.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.