429 or 427 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

429 or 427

i am starting a 65 mustang build in the summer. already have the car, straight 6 with a 4 spd. i want a big block but im a chevy guy and didnt realize how damm confusing ford motor options are. so realisticly this car is going to be on the street mostly. but will see the strip eventually. so can any one tell me what would be the better motor. also i have a powerglide with a chevy bellhousing. and a 9 inch rear end with posi and 4.56 gears. can i use this???? i know fe is 427 and lighter and smaller in size. the 385 series came after 428 and 429 but are bigger and heavier in size...right??? are the head interchangable i.e. cobra heads on a 427???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The 427 is more correct for the 65 Mustang..Cobra heads are a nomenclature for various heads used on HP ford stuff and is really kind of meaningless kinda like corvette heads in the chevy world..You will probably find you will need to do some mods to the spring towers to get a big block into a Mustang..The 9" is good provided it is the correct width..The glide can be used but you will need some sort of adapter to use it..Good build if your budget runs to it..

Just my opinon now if it were my car to do and I wanted the big inch motor in one of those cars..I would use a 351 windsor block and stroke it to 392 or 406 and use a set of Roush or Ford performance heads with a roller cam and induction to suit..That engine will go in the car a lot easier and those engines go like stink..I would be inclined to go with a toploader trans..If you really want to know contact Jim Van Cleve at Van Cleve motors in Morton Wa as he really knows these cars..

Sam
Old 03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Franken - Stang

You want to use a GM Powerglide in a Mustang?
Really?
Well, OK ... it's YOUR car, after all.

Check out Ford Classics website for info on Ford "Engine Families" ... as terms like "small-block" and "big-block" are much to vague when it comes to Ford.

Anyway:
427 and 428 are both "FE" blocks.
429 and 460 are your "385" series.

FE's use one bellhousing pattern, and the 385's use another.
Both are different from the typical "SBF" (90 V8 engine family), BTW.

According to this website, there's only about 10 lbs difference between the FE (650 lb)and the 385 (640 lb), and both of these are slightly lighter than a BBC (685 lb)

One thing I can tell you is that the stock cast-iron intake on an FE is a real back-breaker!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If this will be on the street I would ditch the 4.56's for something in the low 3's. If you're wanting a big block you may as well go for the gusto with a stroked 460.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:28 PM

My brother has a '66 bracket car he "campaigns". It has a 501 ("stroked" 460) with a 'glide and 4.56s. It weighs just under 3,000 lbs. "Rule of thumb" is a car under 3K gets the 2-speed, over 3K gets the 3-speed. The engine isn't real "radical". 11.5:1, 6,500 power peak. Car goes 9.80s consistently. Mustang-II front suspension, "back-halfed" with a 4-link.

Neither the FE or the Lima (385 Series, 370, 429 and 460) will fit without modifiying the shock towers. Considering the expense of building a 427 today (virtually everything must be purchased "new, reproduction"), and the developement in recent years for the Lima, it really is more practical to build the "big" motor. The 501 is easy and relatively cheap compared. A factory 460 crank is up to the job well beyond 700 HP. Heads need attention. Even the "good" Cobra Jet heads have woeful exhaust ports. A nice set of aluminum heads will take care of two problems at one time. Good flow and less weight. Under 600 HP, the bottom ends are just about bullet proof. Steps can be taken to get the stock block to support over 1,000. The small difference in weight, is also offset by the superior torque output of the Lima.

Don't get me wrong. 427 is a GREAT engine. One of the top three or four ever "done" for production, IMO, especially the "cammer"....

Jim
Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
I consider myself a rip and tear kind of guy and if I want to install a Merlin into an Isetta, I'll figure a way to do it. But I cannot bring myself to stuffing a large block into an early Mustang. I can visualize it as being the most evil-handling SOB that anyone ever put together.

I would be interested in installing a late 5.0 roller motor with a centrifugal blower and blow-through carb though. I wouldn't use the PG if the car will weigh over 2800 lbs. A heavier car needs more gears to keep the r's up. Keep the rear gear, you'll need it with a small block.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:05 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

total cost involved "TCI" makes a kit that removes the shock towers all together, gives you rack and pinion and much better front set up.
and cost a little more than rebuilding a ford power stearing front end in a mustang..
then you can bolt whatever you so choose..
you can watch stacy david install the kit in a cougar on his show gears..
go to stacydavid.com and veiw the t.v. show to see the whole install. it's a nice set up.. of course for the show they used all chromed out and polished gear. but loose that and the cost drops.. bigtime..

just an option..
Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM
On the Border

Last photo:

Just take look

Another option would be a 5.0 and a m112 with EFI or a blow thru carb

Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM

It depends on what experience you desire.

Each engine has its own characteristics. You need to think what end result you want to achieve in the way of driveability. If you like brute force like a bbc, then the 385 series motors are the way to go. Large torque at low rpm. If you like that awesome power in the higher rpm's the way to go is the FE 427 side oiler. built to race all day at 7000 rpm, it does not come on with the torque till 3200 rpm, but when it does, if properly carberated, it comes on like a two stroke motorcycle engine with awesome power. I had one of these in a 67 Shelby mustang GT 500 for twenty years. It acted like a big stroke small block in that it reved very fast and when the power line crossed the torque curve, it was radical. This car weighed 3300 pounds. Light by our standards today, but heavy then. It was determined by Shelby that a car weighing over 2900 lbs would be too difficult to equip to be competitive in road racing that he built the GT350 for in the first place. Pressured to add the BB to his shelby, he never built it to compete off of the street in road racing. If your '65 is a coupe, it came from the factory at 2400 to 2500 lbs. The fastback I own with the 289 and a 9 inch plus disc brakes in front weighs a little over 2800. If you plan to do anything but go straight ahead all the time you drive it, you need to realize what adding 200 lbs with putting the 427 would do to handling. You would have a snowplow... It could be made to handle, but it would take a lot of money to change the suspension to compensate for the change in front to rear weight bias. My suggestion for the most fun out of your stang in the most different conditions, get a 302 based stroker that will weigh about 485 lbs and have a balls of torque with excellent dependable rpm to at least 7000 rpm. the car will be balanced around corners and with an upgrade to discs front and rear, will stop the added power and speed available with this engine.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.