429 Ford in a Bird. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Everything is a Dream

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

429 Ford in a Bird.

I own a 1968 Ford Thunderbird, the big 429 Engine with a C6 auto Trans in it. I wanted the motor and transmission to be extremely customized while the body of the car remain stock (Maybe the hood might need some help if I am going to make the engine taller or something like that). At this time the motor is almost fully stock, only the carburetor been changed to a brand new Holley 4160 600cfm, an breakerless ignition from Pertronix with a Pertronix coil, and a deeper transmission oil pan.

Not much of a mod, I wanted to change almost everything on the motor and the trans, like the manifolds, Distributor, Heads, Exhaust, Ignition, Cam, Oil Pan, gears, and etc. Make the motor much bigger, get every horse I can get for it.... Like I said, I am fairly new to this stuff, so I am not sure where to start, if you guys have messed with a 429 before and would like to give some advice, that would be great.

Also, any ideas for the stock cooling system, I think the stock radiator would not cool the motor alone...

My goal for this car to have a fast take off, I want more take off than top speed or both will be awesome. My car is about 4,400lb, I don't know if its going to work with all that weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Think of the 429 as a small 460 and anything that you can/should do to one of those applies. It would seem that you are going to waste a lot of money for very little satisfaction.Weight should be rdeuced most and that entails removing sound deadening/insulation and pretty soon you might as welll have started with a ligter car to begin with. The muscle car premise of te 60s was to put the biggest engine in the lightest car. The rooute you are taking involves taking the heaviest car and throwing as big a pile pof mooney at it as you can.....with results that will fall short. You need to get with the other 'bird guy and the Lincoln guy, you are all going in the same direction. At least from the desires you claim.

"Not much of a mod, I wanted to change almost everything on the motor and the trans, like the manifolds, Distributor, Heads, Exhaust, Ignition, Cam, Oil Pan, gears, and etc. Make the motor much bigger, get every horse I can get for it.... Like I said, I am fairly new to this stuff, so I am not sure where to start, if you guys have messed with a 429 before and would like to give some advice, that would be great.

Also, any ideas for the stock cooling system, I think the stock radiator would not cool the motor alone...

My goal for this car to have a fast take off, I want more take off than top speed or both will be awesome. My car is about 4,400lb, I don't know if its going to work with all that weight."

The radiator is probably the one thing that you won't need to modify in this scenario.
From reading your posts I think you might be one of the TOO many trolls that seem to be at this site lately, go back under the bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.