429 thunderjet questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dallas Ga
Posts: 56
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
429 thunderjet questions

I just bought a '68 Thunderbird with a 429 Thunderjet engine and a C6 transmission. Can anyone tell me the difference between all the different 429 Ford engines? This is the first Ford I have owned and I want to rod this engine, any help would be nice.
Steve

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2003, 07:24 PM
woodz428's Avatar
Troll Hunter
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Philo,Il
Posts: 2,702
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrow

That was the first year of the 429 and the name is just that, a name. It isn't any special high performance engine (2 bolt mains) although it does have threaded studs (although they are positive stop) for the rockers and nice ports. It is a good start for a build up, but a 460 with those heads would be the cheapest upgrade if you're looking for more power. The later Cobra Jet engine used a cam with the same specs as the other (428 &351C) Cobra Jet engines and used a Q-jet carb ('71's had 4 bolt mains). The Super Cobra Jet had a solid cam,4 bolt mains and an aluminum intake with a 780 Holley. A minimized view but gives you the basics.

Last edited by woodz428; 07-16-2003 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2003, 07:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tampa
Posts: 84
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
most of the differences are in the heads and cams a 429 block is a 429 block its the same as a 460 same bore different stroke, thunder jet and such is a performance package and it being a ford product over the years its changed a few things about 4 million times, so unless your really good with fords or know someone that is best leave it alone its already in one of its higher performance levels. it is a very capable engine however they are very expensive to build and are gona need plenty of gears to run, and before i get corrected by a ford guy there is a boss 429 and a proto type overhead camed 429 but those are todally different than what your gonna have in that ole bird. the 427 over head cammer is todaly different . and when i say higher performance packages im refering to they went up from there but they also went back down to a lower level than they were at to start with.if your gona mess with it start off converting the car to a 460+ engine leave the 429 alone, the car's worth more with the orignal engine in its orignal state, and if you hop it up and blow it up you take a lot of value out of the car, if its not the orignal engine already theres no replacement for displacement.

Last edited by Mikey123; 07-21-2003 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2003, 08:58 PM
crazy larry's Avatar
Member
 

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: East Texas
Age: 43
Posts: 2,298
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
swap out the crank for a 460, their the same journal size-even swap, or stroke it to 500+, port match the heads, roller valve train, your good to go,
the cammer was a 427, different block.......
big difference in the 429/460 engines that i'm aware of, is the heads that are available...... factory tunnel ports or square port....
and then the super cobra jets.....
Big Block Babe can skool us more.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2003, 09:52 PM
WV hillbilly
 

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WV
Age: 39
Posts: 784
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
keep the 429....it it was a chevy no one would tell you to put a 454 crank in a 427...lol the 429 will perform if you want me to ill desk top dyno you a combo for it , just let me know...Id be glad to help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2003, 09:53 PM
woodz428's Avatar
Troll Hunter
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Philo,Il
Posts: 2,702
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrow

.
Quote:
thunder jet and such is a performance package
The Thunder Jet IS NOT a performance engine, it is the base line 429 engine nothing special no High performance anything. There was not an overhead cam engine (that was the 427 an FE engine and entirely different, the 429 was designed to replace it/them). They only have round ports (not tunnel ports ,again the 427 FE) although similar to tunnel ports and there were no rectangle port 385 series (429/460 and the 370 truck engine). All the differences in the blocks were in my first post, other than chamber volume and rocker type there is not a lot of differences in the heads except for the SCJ which had larger ports/valves and requires matching intake.The SCJ ports are so big that one valve cover screw in each head goes right into a port. The Boss 429 had the 4 bolt block was produced only in 1969 &70 had Aluminum "clipped"hemi heads and came in 2 versions with an o-ringed set of heads and one with a regular gasketed head. There were 2 different rods depending on which Boss it was.It was built primarily to qualify the engine for Nascar

Last edited by woodz428; 07-16-2003 at 09:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2003, 11:13 PM
WV hillbilly
 

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WV
Age: 39
Posts: 784
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by woodz428
.

The Thunder Jet IS NOT a performance engine, it is the base line 429 engine nothing special no High performance anything. There was not an overhead cam engine (that was the 427 an FE engine and entirely different, the 429 was designed to replace it/them). They only have round ports (not tunnel ports ,again the 427 FE) although similar to tunnel ports and there were no rectangle port 385 series (429/460 and the 370 truck engine). All the differences in the blocks were in my first post, other than chamber volume and rocker type there is not a lot of differences in the heads except for the SCJ which had larger ports/valves and requires matching intake.The SCJ ports are so big that one valve cover screw in each head goes right into a port. The Boss 429 had the 4 bolt block was produced only in 1969 &70 had Aluminum "clipped"hemi heads and came in 2 versions with an o-ringed set of heads and one with a regular gasketed head. There were 2 different rods depending on which Boss it was.It was built primarily to qualify the engine for Nascar
the 429 isnt a performance engine huh? you build your FE and Ill build a 429 and well see about that...and by the way, just because it isnt a nascar engine doesnt mean you cant make it run...tsk,tsk....for all that matter thats like comparing a rodeck to a stock 454....and I have never seen any 454's run in nascar or 396's or 402's or 327's or 302's, or 460's 0r ford 302.....your just plain mistaken on your wont run theories.... fe's were good in the day, but now you cant even buy a decent aftermarket head for the FE Edelbrock makes them but, the only advantake is most likely the weight reduction...you buy a set of FRPP aluminum heads for the 429/460 and you get a ton more flow albeit enough to spank that FE...dont get me wrong....I mean that 390 setting in my old pickup surely is a HI-po engine....lol (not) a stock 429 would run circles around it...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2003, 12:23 AM
mustang66maniac's Avatar
Ford Freak
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 676
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn dude, dont get your panties in a bunch, mister "you build an FE and ill build a 429 and we'll see which is better". Hes simply stating that the 429 thunderjet didnt come out of the factory in performance trim like a cobra jet. Nobodys saying that the 429 is gutless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2003, 05:06 AM
woodz428's Avatar
Troll Hunter
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Philo,Il
Posts: 2,702
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrow

Thank you Mustang66, that's exactly what I was saying. Sometimes I don't think people read a post very thoroughly. I do think the 429/460 is a great engine (I'm a long time Ford guy), I was just responding to the question about the "Thunder Jet" version and correcting several mistaken statements about the engine family in general, i.e. overhead cams and rectangle ports,etc. Most stock 385 heads will outflow a a stock FE head (except the overhead cam and the other 427 heads)why go overboard.By the way, the 429 DID run in Nascar, and there are several aftermarket FE heads available (the Edelbrock flows a lot better than the stock and then there are the DOVE heads of various configurations) and weight is only one of the benefits.


Last edited by woodz428; 07-17-2003 at 05:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2003, 08:14 AM
WV hillbilly
 

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WV
Age: 39
Posts: 784
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by woodz428
Thank you Mustang66, that's exactly what I was saying. Sometimes I don't think people read a post very thoroughly. I do think the 429/460 is a great engine (I'm a long time Ford guy), I was just responding to the question about the "Thunder Jet" version and correcting several mistaken statements about the engine family in general, i.e. overhead cams and rectangle ports,etc. Most stock 385 heads will outflow a a stock FE head (except the overhead cam and the other 427 heads)why go overboard.By the way, the 429 DID run in Nascar, and there are several aftermarket FE heads available (the Edelbrock flows a lot better than the stock and then there are the DOVE heads of various configurations) and weight is only one of the benefits.

well, if your gonna say a 429 is not a performance engine what are you gonna expect...no matter how I took you post I think you was misleading other people with your post and frankly it dosent matter what you have as long as the person who own's it is happy with it.. modifications can be made to the 429 and parts are ready to go off the shelf for hi performance.... 428 parts are very high and rather hard to find...a stock 428 is going for around 3800$ here and with that kind of money I can build a 429 that will not only last longer but will perform better...just because this guy or that guy has something you may not like doesnt mean that gives you the right to degrade his/her choice for performance..you should be try to help instead of insult...and thats just what you did...I think rodding out a 429 is cool, plenty of cubes, plenty of parts , so why try to tell this guy his motor isnt any good when in fact it could be anything at any performance level he wanted...

Quote:
Originally posted by mustang66maniac
damn dude, dont get your panties in a bunch, mister "you build an FE and ill build a 429 and we'll see which is better". Hes simply stating that the 429 thunderjet didnt come out of the factory in performance trim like a cobra jet. Nobodys saying that the 429 is gutless.
yeah and the cobra jet still wasnt graced with alot of hp from factory, you could alter factory parts and get crazy performace, same as the 429 Im not saying one is better than the other Im stating that you dont have to have a factory performance motor to be a hot rodder and most certainly you can make a 429 perform any way you want to...

Nobodys saying that the 429 is gutless,
well just what the H*ll are you getting at then? why all the fuss in the first place....

Last edited by 2wld4u; 07-17-2003 at 08:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2003, 08:25 AM
crazy larry's Avatar
Member
 

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: East Texas
Age: 43
Posts: 2,298
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello.

the 429 thunder jet is a STOCK engine. NO HI PO parts in it. if your talking performance, are you gonna stick a stock cam or a set of regular stocker heads on it? NO. hell yeah a 429 will run, but it'll run a hell of a lot better with the right stuff in it......
hate to say it, but a stock 429 is not 2 wild.....
as far as dropping in a 460 crank, that follows along the line of 'theres no replacement for displacement' 500 ci. now thats wild.

thanks Woodz, i knew there was something about the heads i couldn't remember, it was the o ring head gaskets that are so hard to find now on the scj heads.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2003, 09:03 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tennessee
Posts: 5,909
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
woodz428- you are right in every respect, I read that post twice and I cant for the life of me see where you said anything negative about 429 engines. the thunderjet was NOT a performance engine in stock trim but it can be made to run with a little work,like most engines. About FE engines, the 427 takes a backseat to none!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2003, 11:35 AM
WV hillbilly
 

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WV
Age: 39
Posts: 784
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: hello.

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy larry
the 429 thunder jet is a STOCK engine. NO HI PO parts in it. if your talking performance, are you gonna stick a stock cam or a set of regular stocker heads on it? NO. hell yeah a 429 will run, but it'll run a hell of a lot better with the right stuff in it......
hate to say it, but a stock 429 is not 2 wild.....
as far as dropping in a 460 crank, that follows along the line of 'theres no replacement for displacement' 500 ci. now thats wild.

thanks Woodz, i knew there was something about the heads i couldn't remember, it was the o ring head gaskets that are so hard to find now on the scj heads.............
yeah, this is like beating a dead horse, maybe I read between the lines to much

a stock 429 is nothing to brag about your right...I give up, Im not really a ford guy so I really couldnt care to much one way or the other.

This is not one of my best subjects, your right, none of the aforemention engines would be wild enough for my taste except maybe the 500cid... I like what I call "hi-po" which doesnt pertain to anything stock so Im outa this discussion because although ford made so called "hi-po" whatever I can rest easy because I know anything I build will be up to my standard's of what a high performance engine should be...you nastalgia guru's have at it, in the mean time watch out for those newer factory stangs, they might just hurt that FE's feelings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2003, 12:43 PM
crazy larry's Avatar
Member
 

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: East Texas
Age: 43
Posts: 2,298
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
soon as ford makes the wiring harness available, a 5.4 sohc will be the way to go, but in the mean time, you could always rig one up off a wrecked ride........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2003, 01:23 PM
woodz428's Avatar
Troll Hunter
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Philo,Il
Posts: 2,702
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrow

2wild said

Quote:
you nastalgia guru's have at it, in the mean time watch out for those newer factory stangs
Just because I know Ford engines doesn't make me a nostalgia guy, just informed. I never implied the FE's were the end all to engines either, just correcting some errors. Excuse me. I read your post on the engine you're building (or wanting to) and it doesn't sound that "new tech". I've built more double cam engines than you have probably built engines, including Jag, Alfa,Lotus and virtually every new bike engine out there, so I think I'm pretty well up on the High Tech stuff. I do, however, prefer not to have to deal with it when I build my own cars, if someone else wants it fine I love to build them just like the less "fussy" path for myself. By the way, price out parts/engines for "those newer factory 'stangs" and you'll see they aren't that cheap to build either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.