4300rpm stall converter! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2003, 02:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

4300rpm stall converter!

I just got my copy of the new book on the Gasser Wars of the late 50s early 60s.

http://georgiadragracing.com/booksto...rry-davis.html

Awesome book with lots of colored pictures. Great adjunct to Don Montgomery's similar tome of a few years ago on "Supercharged Gas Coupes".

http://www.draglist.com/raceplace/donmontgomery.htm

In an article on the Malicote Bros. twin turbocharged SBC (this was when the GMC Roots blower was king - still is in fact!!), the authors mentioned that the Malicotes needed extreme revs to make power so B&M made them a 4300RPM stall torque converter. Imagine running that in your grocery getter!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2003, 04:58 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4300 to me doesn't really sound that big since I'm into drag racing. I run a 10" 4000 stall in my '70 Chevelle with a TH350 and a 355 roller motor and it works nicely. My buddy with a 434 SBC in his 67 Chevelle runs a 6000 stall, he drives his on the street on special occations, this motor makes over 700hp without nitrous... We just cruise around in it and rap the throttle when you see people, it's really fun taking it out on a nice long grippy country road and just lay in the throttle and you are doin 120 in no time and slaming you into the seat like a jet. When you fire up this car it's idling at 1500 and you put it in gear you can't even tell because the stall, you have to rev it to 2500 just to get it to move. He let me drive it this summer and I was really stressed out when he asked if I wanted to so I hopped and we took off into the country just took it for a cruise about 3 miles away and I turned around and on the way back he told me "Ok floor it but be careful and get a good grip on the wheel" so I did and it was absolutly amazing feeling the shift light came on at 7500 as soon as my foot hit the floor it all happened soo fast and we were going over 100, the car was wanting to go sideways but I stayed in it and kept it straight and caught the next gear. What really took about 5 sec seemed like 10. Very neat feeling having 700hp at your foot.

Just had to share that story with others!
Old 10-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

E-ticket ride for sure!!
Old 10-20-2003, 06:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Helped a friend and his partners on a Anglia Coupe called "The HOP Toad" from Van Nuys, Ca. It had a mid engine Hilborn injected 392 Hemi. It got it's name from the way it left the line with a manual trans, they went to an auto and it bogged terribly. B&M came out with the Clutch Flite and I think they were testing for B&M as one of there guys was always hanging around. What a difference, you popped the clutch on the line, the auto trans cushioned the shock, you left hard and auto shifted the rest of the gears. those were the days.
Hey wills Iv'e got a Hot Rodding annual from 1962 with some cool pics from pomona, ect. I'll do my best to post a couple Ohio George Mongomery Willys shots after work tonite.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.