433 Bbc Vs 425 Sbc - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 01:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Biker
What do you want? I could maybe mail you something for the cost of shipping it to you, do you already have a big block motor? dirtyrottenstinkingbiker@yahoo.com
Thanks,i will keep this in my mind,no i don`t have a bbc yet,and i will need to sell my Nova first to buy more projects.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 AM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

I have a friend from finland who has been here for like 25 years and she still speaks with the same accent that she did before. She is nice, she knits hats and sweaters and loves Abba. i dunno why i threw that in there, the thread was already hi-jacked so what the heck! muhaha
Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 AM

Last photo:

Why do you want to build a short stroke BBC? There is no replacement for displacement and a 496 will cost the same OR LESS. it'll last longer, make more power, be easier to drive, etc. The only reason to build the 427 is for a restricted racing class where you cant have more displacement.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

Why not?does everything have to be the same? i donīt need the most powerfull or biggest engine in town,i want it to be the kind i like after all i will build it for myself,thatīs the reason i want 4speed and not 5-6 speed tranny,but i`m struggling to get one(4 speed)and that is reason i will newer spend a cent on chevy rearends again,itīs going to be 9" for me this is of course my opinion only,you might have different one
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

The op was wanting to know what would be best, and the best route in most people's mind is to get a 496 kit. Each person can build what they want, no internet forum can say otherwise. But it can say that to most people its silly to work backwards.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

Turbolover you are silly, the guy that started the thread didn't want the biggest motor either, but that's what you seem to have to offer in every post. Get the biggest, if you don't you must be silly. Or if it isn't the biggest thing you can cram in there then you gotta try and tell somebody they don't know what they are talking about or something if they offer to share there thoughts on why they wouldn't want to do it the same way you would want to do it. C'mon man, to each there own, just cause you like stroker motors doesn't mean that we all have to. Not everybody thinks they are the best way to go in every case and it is ok if we don't agree. You have made it perfectly clear that you think that they are superior in every single way, but of course yours is just one opinion. And you know what they say about opinions...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

I think the silly one is the one that is giving hairbrained, erounious information to someone that is truly trying to find some CORRECT info!

Dude...dont use a 366...don't piece together some odd engine combo using 8 inch long rods, and pistons made out of hippie fairy dust that has more compression that a diesel truck!

My comment would be to build the small block, or to build a 434. There are a few circle track guys that get CRAZY power out of a 434, and with a 350 cfm 2 barrel holley! They are a really nasty engine!

And a high compression, higher reving big block is going to build A LOT of heat, is considerably heavier than a small block, and will burn A TON more fuel. Plus, i think that the two combos you have suggested will make about the same power, just at a slightly different rpm.

That and you can buy a kit from Speedway to build the 434, no tracking down parts that MAY or may not work!

-Roy...
Old 09-01-2010, 03:09 PM

You folks have some great ideas and opinions.

I am still not looking for the biggest engine but a better Rat or Mouse Trap!

Apples to Apples{600-670 Flywheel HP} a 511 BBC( Bore 427/454 +.060 & a 4.375 forged crank Tall Deck 427 block) V.S. a 434 SBC (Bore 4.155 & 4 inch crank) assuming 12-13.1:1 CR Aluminum Heads which would be less maintance?

Thank you for all of your input, YOU have made this Thread great.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRoy1978
I think the silly one is the one that is giving hairbrained, erounious information to someone that is truly trying to find some CORRECT info!

Dude...dont use a 366...don't piece together some odd engine combo using 8 inch long rods, and pistons made out of hippie fairy dust that has more compression that a diesel truck!

My comment would be to build the small block, or to build a 434. There are a few circle track guys that get CRAZY power out of a 434, and with a 350 cfm 2 barrel holley! They are a really nasty engine!

And a high compression, higher reving big block is going to build A LOT of heat, is considerably heavier than a small block, and will burn A TON more fuel. Plus, i think that the two combos you have suggested will make about the same power, just at a slightly different rpm.

That and you can buy a kit from Speedway to build the 434, no tracking down parts that MAY or may not work!

-Roy...
I just said thats what I might do, you don't have to be mean. It is kinda funny that you spelled erroneous wrong tho.... You are too funny Roy! i needed a good laugh,

Build any motor you want to Bottlebaby, if some of these guys don't agree with your approach then so what.

Last edited by Dirty Biker; 09-01-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

spelling never was my game...
Old 09-01-2010, 03:38 PM

With my analytical mind I must continously process as much information as is available before making a decision based on a variety of inputs.

It is KILLING me to have to wait to build my Pro-Street machine but I will only be able to do this once.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 PM
More for Less Racer

The 511 BBC will be much less maintenance as you won't have to turn the high rpm the SBC will need to get to that power level. High rpm = expensive valvetrain and a close eye on it to spot problems before they turn into disaster.

The 4.375" crank won't just drop into the 427 TD block, roughly 1/2 of the blocks will not be capable of being clearanced enough without getting into water or oil passages due to core shift. 4.350" bore by 4.25" stroke is the practical limit, make 505 inches. Virtually all 4,250" bore BBC's will take a .100" overborre.

Don't pay too much attention to all this tall deck/rod ratio nonsense, it isn't a necessary mandatory need at this point.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 PM

Is there an aftermarket block like the Bow Tie that will go to 4.31 or 4.375 and accept a 4.375/ 4.25 inch stroke?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleBaby
Is there an aftermarket block like the Bow Tie that will go to 4.31 or 4.375 and accept a 4.375/ 4.25 inch stroke?

Why do you need to feel the need to spend more? A basic 496 (+/- for overbore) is as easy as it gets for making 600hp. You can make an easy 600hp with a 496 and about 9.5:1-10:1 compression and a hydraulic roller cam. It could have a fairly tame driving manner, run on pump gas (even 87 if you built it for that), and last a LONG LONG time with little required maintenance.

550-625hp is the sweet sport for a pump gas hot street 496 IMO. If you shop around and are a little lucky and somewhat skilled you could probably have a 600+hp 496 that runs on pump gas for a total engine cost of less than $6,500.

Or you could spend 6,500 on an aftermarket short block so you have some unique displacement number...
Old 09-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

I think turbolover meant to say, "Yes there is an aftermarket block that will accept a bigger stroke!" He probably didn't mean to sound condecending, he is probably a really nice guy. Might check out merlin, http://www.worldcastings.com/products/engine-blocks/big-block-chevrolet-blocks/ It can take up to a 4.75 inch crank and a 4.65 bore for 645 cubes but even with the taller 10.2 deck height it has and 6.8 inch rods you are running into the limits of what is practical at 1.43:1 rod ratio with a 4.75 stroke.

If a normal big block will accept 4.25 stroke tho, that seems like alot of cubes tho to me. All I was saying about the tall deck is that the longer rods can let you turn a few more rpm.

At least according to some peoples way of understanding, that I also happen to agree with.

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/rod-tech-c.htm

A 427 tall deck with 6.8 rods and a 4.25 inch crank would give ya 1.6:1 rod ratio that would be almost the same as a 396 or a 350 small block but have 482 cubes without overbore and still use 1.27" pistons.

Last edited by Dirty Biker; 09-02-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Closed Thread

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.