434 SBC with small journal rods - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 06:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

434 SBC with small journal rods

I have a Callies 4" stroke crank that needs to be reground, as it spun a rod bearing. The crank grinder said he could take it to small journal size and we could run SJ rods on it. Does it make it a bad choice to do this? This is going in a pulling truck (Hot Stock class). Will this be weaker due to the long stroke w/ small journals?

Thanks, Brad

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

While I know callies makes a excellant crank, if it were me, I wouldn`t do it, to go from a large journal to a small is taking a heck of a chunk off the journals. While I know wide fillets make a crank stronger I`d still think there`s a limit on how far down you can go. With the load your putting on the crank at that stroke and power level, I`m not sure I`d feel real safe.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

How f-ed is the crank, it may be able to be ground and rechromed back up to 030 or somthing, real good crank shops can do this well. durability wise winston cup ( never nextel) guys use honda 1.88 journals on billet cranks. small chevy journals are 2.00 so it has been done, not 434 cubic inches mind you.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:28 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginejr
How f-ed is the crank, it may be able to be ground and rechromed back up to 030 or somthing, real good crank shops can do this well. durability wise winston cup ( never nextel) guys use honda 1.88 journals on billet cranks. small chevy journals are 2.00 so it has been done, not 434 cubic inches mind you.
Thats a lot of over lap going to a small journal and some times machining a journal down that for will move the oil hles closer to the radius of the crank journal.

The cup guys can get away with that cause there using short stroke cranks around 2.250 and up.

At the begining of the season Toyota was using a 1.750 mains on there cranks.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin99
I have a Callies 4" stroke crank that needs to be reground, as it spun a rod bearing. The crank grinder said he could take it to small journal size and we could run SJ rods on it. Does it make it a bad choice to do this? This is going in a pulling truck (Hot Stock class). Will this be weaker due to the long stroke w/ small journals?

Thanks, Brad
4 inch stroke cranks with 2 inch journal. i do it with scat 4340 cap screw rods. tight clearances and M140 3/4 groove mains. i build alot of 1.889 rod journal engines. nothing breaks. use a 6 inch rod. you have to clearance the rods to the cam lobes andthe bottom of the cylinder bores on both sides of the block. JE piston with a deck height of 1.062. these engines all run plus or minus 7 grand on dirt circles....just like pulling in the dirt.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:10 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams specialty engs
4 inch stroke cranks with 2 inch journal. i do it with scat 4340 cap screw rods. tight clearances and M140 3/4 groove mains. i build alot of 1.889 rod journal engines. nothing breaks. use a 6 inch rod. you have to clearance the rods to the cam lobes andthe bottom of the cylinder bores on both sides of the block. JE piston with a deck height of 1.062. these engines all run plus or minus 7 grand on dirt circles....just like pulling in the dirt.
A deck height of 1.062 man thats the smallest deck height I have ever heard of LOL.

Or do you mean compression height ?????????????????
Old 09-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Be careful who you have work on your crank.
I'd Call These Guys...

Marine Crankshaft Inc.
2155 S. Grand Avenue
Santa Ana, CA 92705
714.549.2388 Fax 714.549.1382
Email: CACranks@yahoo.com

I am not a compensated agent, endorser, or seller of any known or unknown product or service.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS NE
A deck height of 1.062 man thats the smallest deck height I have ever heard of LOL.

buy some books...then we can talk...sensably
Old 09-15-2008, 12:43 AM

Last photo:

Hey Adam's.......for a new guy with only 2 posts thats a pretty salty reply "buy some books...then we can talk...sensably" to CNC's question, which was quite valid and sent in a good natured way. And by the way, you spelled "sensably" wrong.....sensibly (Webster's).
Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
Hey Adam's.......for a new guy with only 2 posts thats a pretty salty reply "buy some books...then we can talk...sensably" to CNC's question, which was quite valid and sent in a good natured way. And by the way, you spelled "sensably" wrong.....sensibly (Webster's).
hahahaha, the guy uses the wrong nomenclature and then wire-brushes CNC for using the correct one.... hahahaha

This is for the newbs, so they don't get confused by the last few posts, so don't anybody else get their shorts wadded up.

Block Deck Height: the distance from the centerline of the main bearing bore in the block where the crankshaft main bearings reside, to the flat surface of the block deck where the heads bolt on. (usually 9.000" to 9.025" on a SBC)

Piston Deck Height: the distance from the piston crown surface to the block deck with the piston at top dead center. (usually 0.040" to 0.000")

Piston compression height: the distance from the centerline of the wrist pin bore in the piston to the piston crown. (usually 1.000" to 2.000")
Old 09-15-2008, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS NE

I was thinking the same thing, when I read it. But I figured since I posted this about a year ago and that particular crank is long gone, I'd leave it alone....
Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 PM

Last photo:

Shouldn't be a problem assuming you're not using a novice machinist.

I know most machinists are way past the expert level of knowledge.
There is the remote possibility that you might find the wrong guy to do the job.

The best way to find a good shop is if it's VERY BACKED UP & you see nothing but Chevy Small Block parts on the floor.

I heard of a guy that was cheap & fast that did crank grinding with ZERO fillet radius.

If you choose to go to the cheapest & fastest guy it's like playing russian roulette. You never know what you're gonna get.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.