Hot Rod Forum banner

43430 or 90977 spray gun?

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  brianc 
#1 ·
I've been reading around and it seems a lot of folks on this site really like the Harbor Freight 43430 and/or 90977 spray guns. Do people use them both for primer and base/clear, etc.? 2 different tips, 2 of the same guns, 1 of each or what?

I've search around a bit and it seems like the most commonly recommended gun was the 43430. Since this is the cheaper of the two, I wanted to make sure I got this right, that it's recommended over the more expensive 90977? I realize it's subjective, but any feedback is appreciated.

I'm only going to use the gun(s) to paint a few panels on my Fairlane. My compressor has this spec: Flow Rate : 11.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI, 10.2 SCFM @ 90

Thanks

#3 ·
I have used the 43430 extensively (I like it! :) ) and for sure that compressor is go to be border line. It can be used but it definitely takes planing ahead to prevent running out of air at the wrong time. For instance you would need to allow the compressor to build up to shut-off before starting a large area on a car or truck otherwise the pressure may drop and leave you with a choice of either trying to continue with not enough air or take a chance on the paint flashing while waiting on the air to build up. The 43430 definitely is an air hog and it needs high flow fittings to deliver that volume no matter how big the compressor. I too have been wondering about that other gun you mentioned and I was watching this thread hoping someone would comment on it. I use an IWATA now but I still have my "purple" guns and still use them occasionally, as I said I like them but if you do get one of these don't be afraid to crank up the air on it because that is what makes it work so well. Actually if you plan to do more than just a couple of jobs, especially if you are using a really high quality (by that I mean expensive!) paint you would be much better off to spring for the extra cost of something like the IWATA. The 43430 is know for doing a really good job and being a decent gun, quite a bit better than most would expect for the price, but it is also known for wasting paint due to excessive over-spray. With the cost of paint being what it is these days a gun like the IWATA will save enough in paint costs in only a very few jobs to more than pay for itself.

#4 · (Edited)
Hf 90977

I use a Harbor Freight gun model 90977.
This was my first paint job. I sprayed primer, base coat and clear with this gun.
I thought it performed great!

Attached is a picture of the van. I painted the hood and grill area.

I have also painted a bow (archery) with it, metal flake, turned out great.

I only have a 3 hp 21 gal. compressor from Harbor freight. At first my compressor wouldn't keep up, so I put hi flow connectors on all connections. And it works perfect. I spray @ 29 psi with this gun.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Harbor Freight 90977 Spray Gun

Just did another hood last weekend. I used the Harbor Freight 90977 gun. This was a tricoat job. Primer, base, midcoat, and clear. I thought it really came out nice. Matched really well. I did a test panel first of 1 to 6 coats of the midcoat so I could determine how many coats of mid to put on.
I used Limco 800k primer, Diamont paint, and Norm's Clear Coat.

Attachments

#6 ·
I prefer an Accuspray 10, or 11 series, and I swap the fluid tip, and air nozzel depending on the material.
I've found that while they are ugly, they are light weight, and use less air pressure, thus, putting more material on the surface.

I've tried the Harbor freight, and the husky, and a couple of others, and found that they want to start shooting onesided, after a few days of use.

I've been using the same two Accuspray guns (one for color, and one for clear) for about 8 years now, and have had no problems with them yet.

#7 ·
the great thing about acuspray gun is that they can be taken apart and completly rebuilt
My dad uses these sata,and iwatha at school where he teaches high schooler that don't give crap about taking care of tools and these have held up well. Also the gun bodies are made from kevlar so they hold up well

#11 ·
brianc said:
Just painted this tractor with the Harbor Freight 90977 gun

http://www.pcdwifi.com/farmall/

Now that's my kind of hotrod! :thumbup: My second hobby is old Tractors and my 43430s see more tractor paint than anything else. I have painted tractors (my last project was a JD 10-10) with everything from equipment enamel to BC/CC and my 43430s handle them all just fine.

A lot of people may think it somewhat of a waste to use $400 a gallon paint on a tractor but hey, old tractors need lovin' too!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.