$44 paintjob = teh hAwtness.

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  scrimshaw 
#1 ·
1 Gallon of John Deere Blitz Black paint: $31.xx
1 Quart of John Deere Blitz Black paint: $11.xx
(add in tax)
_______

$44.xx

I already had a quart of thinner, and several rolls of blue tape, and a few cans of primer.

We started by masking off almost all of the chrome, removing any extra trim, and, and masking the windows.

After that, I sanded the entire car with a random orbital sander and 220 grit paper.

We wiped down the whole car with alcohol, and a ton of rags, until it was free from any dust, and cleaned off.

Then, we rolled it into the garage, and started the madness. Mixed the paint 8:1 with thinner, filled up the hopper to the gun, and went to town. I had never painted before, so it was a learning process. Luckily, the learning curve on painting is fairly flat. I did all of the vertical panels, and my buddy did the roof, hood, and trunk. Lesson learned: wear a respirator. We finished at 11pm last night, and all day today, I've been sneezing black boogers, and my lungs feel like I've smoked a carton of cigarettes.

Total time invested: 12 hours.

Here's the finished result:

And the polar opposites, aka "Beauty and The Beast":

A new car, gloss white, that handles, brakes, and accelerates...
and an old car, flat black, that doesn't handle or brake, and just cruises...

I'm SOOOOO happy with how it came out. If you didn't know any better, you'd have NO idea, that I only spent $44 on paint. It self-leveled, and is one of the most durable paints you can buy.

See less See more
#3 ·
That looks pretty good.

Since it is flat already you definitely don't have to worry about it losing gloss. However, it will eventually "chalk" and look hazy since it is an enamel. You'll notice it first on the hood then top and deck lid. Flattened 2K urethanes hold up much better but they do cost about $20-30 more per gallon.

Had you done a urethane job without a respirator you would probably be in the hospital right now and have iso sensitivity the rest of your life. Always wear a respirator with any paint! Those boogers are in your lungs to.

#5 ·
Chefasaurus said:
What's the time frame before it typically starts to chalk? Any way to prevent it?

It's got 3 coats over the sides, and 4 on the roof, hood, and trunk.

The way to prevent it is to never bring it out in the sun.

Time frame varies with product, but it'll happen eventually.

I painted a pizza delivery car with unactivated epoxy "tractor paint" a looong time ago. The car was only on the streets at night, rarely saw daylight (garage kept) and 5 years later it still looked great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.