Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 454 or 427?
Thread: 454 or 427?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by starnest
If your going to build this you'll need a good machine shop to service your block. If you are patient and shop, you should be able to find servicable stock crank and rods (maybe even pistons). Just include the cost of having them serviced in the price you pay. These will be much less than buying all new parts (especially since the other guys are scrapping the stock parts to build 496 engines). BTW - the shop I use specializes in bbc so he has a lot of used parts ready to go at very reasonable prices.

I used the 30 over pistons in my 454, so I bought those new, my shop pinned them for me, and balanced everything from damper to flexplate.

Building a bbc isn't cheap, but for a good truck engine you don't need high priced high performance parts to get great torque, good horsepower, and less than desired fuel economy.

Not that I don't enjoy a totally wild over the top engine build, re: the v24-71 on the favorite engine pic thread,
I went with the 496 because....
for me, it only cost a little more to buy the new rotating assembly (with floating piston pins, that I can assemble)

than the price of having my old stock 454 crank -checked, turned
rods checked, resized, and pistons hung

now I have spent all my money on new, better parts I can assemble
instead of spending all my money on getting my old 1/2 worn out parts checked and modified

just my $0.02