454 or 427? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

454 or 427?

I've got a virgin 2 bolt main 454 block, it needs to be bored I figure I'll go 30 over. My friend tells me I should build a 427 out of it which is what he uses in his racing truck, I'm not going to be racing my truck it is mostly a daily driver and tow vehicle so I'm looking for better torque and horsepower numbers which one will give me better numbers without spending a mass amount of money?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sec
I've got a virgin 2 bolt main 454 block, it needs to be bored I figure I'll go 30 over. My friend tells me I should build a 427 out of it which is what he uses in his racing truck, I'm not going to be racing my truck it is mostly a daily driver and tow vehicle so I'm looking for better torque and horsepower numbers which one will give me better numbers without spending a mass amount of money?
There's no reason to go 427. if anything go 496.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
There's no reason to go 427. if anything go 496.
x2^^^^^^go bigger, not smaller
it will cost about the same for parts if you only have block
but you will need to clearance it for the extra .25" stroke
Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

X2,

you can buy a cast steel 4.250 crank, use stock size 6.135 rods, but you will have to get pistons with a shorter compression height, the cost difference between building a 427, 454, or a 496 is very minimal, like a couple hundred dollars. you go and build a mild 496 and your buddy will be wishing he had done the same.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 AM

What components do I need to make a nice 496?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

496 rotating assembly

I was looking on Ebay and found this rotating assembly. Check out http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Rotati...#ht_1614wt_952 Not a bad deal which includes everything.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 AM

you can get a 496 stroker kit from summit from 1400 to 2200 yes some are even higher but your not building a race car the kits have a stroke of 4.25 bore of 4.31 and a rod length of 6.385 i would say use this length rods over a 6.135 length the longer rod give you a shorter piston that is lighter which putts less stress on the piston skirts find you a suitable cam for your application and use and you will have plenty of tq and hp if you wanted to get even more you could change heads or port yours also you could port math your intake to the heads and is easy to do yourself to gain a lil more
Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59
I was looking on Ebay and found this rotating assembly. Check out http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Rotati...#ht_1614wt_952 Not a bad deal which includes everything.
from the homework I have done, I would stay away from the eagle cranks (rods are ok), use a scat crank instead
Old 04-02-2012, 12:33 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

My vote is to stick with the 454. It'll make more torque than the 427 and burn less gas than a 496. After all, he said it's his daily driver.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:39 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
My vote is to stick with the 454. It'll make more torque than the 427 and burn less gas than a 496. After all, he said it's his daily driver.
the mileage difference between the 3 engines will be VERY minimal as most street driving is NOT done at WOT. A 454 is adequate, but a 496 is better.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Just adequate? Unless the OP is planning on hooking up to a really big trailer then the 454 is MORE than adequate. If he is hooking up to a huge trailer then he'd be better off with a diesel. Either way, I stand by my recommendation of sticking with the 454.

The thing I see on this forum is that people (myself included) often try to pursuade posters to go bigger and bigger and bigger, even if it's not needed. In this case if it's a daily driver pulling a moderately sized trailer on occasion then a 454 will do just fine and save a little bit of gas in the process.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

If your going to build this you'll need a good machine shop to service your block. If you are patient and shop, you should be able to find servicable stock crank and rods (maybe even pistons). Just include the cost of having them serviced in the price you pay. These will be much less than buying all new parts (especially since the other guys are scrapping the stock parts to build 496 engines). BTW - the shop I use specializes in bbc so he has a lot of used parts ready to go at very reasonable prices.

I used the 30 over pistons in my 454, so I bought those new, my shop pinned them for me, and balanced everything from damper to flexplate.

Building a bbc isn't cheap, but for a good truck engine you don't need high priced high performance parts to get great torque, good horsepower, and less than desired fuel economy.

Not that I don't enjoy a totally wild over the top engine build, re: the v24-71 on the favorite engine pic thread,
Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

Any of those three would do the job.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starnest
If your going to build this you'll need a good machine shop to service your block. If you are patient and shop, you should be able to find servicable stock crank and rods (maybe even pistons). Just include the cost of having them serviced in the price you pay. These will be much less than buying all new parts (especially since the other guys are scrapping the stock parts to build 496 engines). BTW - the shop I use specializes in bbc so he has a lot of used parts ready to go at very reasonable prices.

I used the 30 over pistons in my 454, so I bought those new, my shop pinned them for me, and balanced everything from damper to flexplate.

Building a bbc isn't cheap, but for a good truck engine you don't need high priced high performance parts to get great torque, good horsepower, and less than desired fuel economy.

Not that I don't enjoy a totally wild over the top engine build, re: the v24-71 on the favorite engine pic thread,
I went with the 496 because....
for me, it only cost a little more to buy the new rotating assembly (with floating piston pins, that I can assemble)

than the price of having my old stock 454 crank -checked, turned
rods checked, resized, and pistons hung

now I have spent all my money on new, better parts I can assemble
instead of spending all my money on getting my old 1/2 worn out parts checked and modified

just my $0.02
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 PM

Thanks guys, I'm mostly a small block guy my suburban currently has the stock tbi 350 that was converted to a 625 edelbrock carb it's a decent engine but it's an absolute dog when I try to tow anything. I'm on a racing team so I tow full size chevy trucks to various racing events. Having never built a big block before I figure this will be a good learning experience. although from what I hear dollar for dollar a small block is better, having heard that I'm still going to build this big block just because I haven't yet. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. Being budget minded it seems like a little better than stock rebuild with a 30 over bore is the way to go.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.