454 bbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

454 bbc problems

having problems with my big block i just built. im holding 50 pounds of oil pressure and pumping oil everywhere except out of my pushrods and am hearing a slight clanking . can anyone help?

Advertisement

Last edited by nova111; 05-28-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

This is a wild guess, but I'll take a shot....

1) Every pushrod is plugged so no oil is coming to the rockers. (DOUBTFUL)

2) Every lifter is plugged so no oil is going to the pushrods. (JUST AS DOUBTFUL)

3) An oil galley is plugged that sends oil to the cam and everything else on top. I think this is the culprit. Somebody else will have to chime in on the exact galley. The reverse could also be true but doubtful, that oil is coming to the cam, but draining too fast back down in the wrong place for it to oil the cam, rods, and then rockers.

Yours cam, lifters, or rockers might be toast. But your bottom end should be fine, as that gets priority oiling in pre-GEN 5 BBC's. Worst case is a new cam, lifters, and rockers.

Remember though, that oil pressure is just a measurement of resistance, so high psi could be due to the fact that the oil just can not get to the top of the engine for some reason.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 PM

454 bbc problems

very helpfull , so would u recomend stripping to bare block and checking all oil galleys. Also i can prime with drill and get same amount of oil as when its running which isn't much not squarting like should out of pushrods. Its probly a 500 horse bb with 427 closed chamber heads.I check the pushrods and they are only 5/16 rods (might need biger).also i have hydrolic cam and lifters should i go solid lift or stay hyd. . thanks for the help

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.