Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 454 bbc or 355 sbc
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64r1 View Post
I know there is no replacement for displacement but I want some opinions. I am currently running a stock 454 (casting 12550313) in a 64 chevy impala, well a friend has a brand new never run motor for sale. Its a 350 4 bolt bored to a 355, aluminum heads(which are worth atleast $1000), alum intake and roller cam and rockers etc. My question is what would you do? my friend is only asking $1000 for it because he just doesnt need the motor anymore and is well off financially, hence the cheap price. Pros and cons anyone? Its a stock 454 the car is not registered and is my project but is running and runs strong! I am not the most knowledgeable of motors but am mechanically inclined. just looking for insight thanks!
Price sounds right. But if it aint broke dont fix it!

The 454 is alot of money to build but if you have a strong runner already alot of things can be done on the cheap. But all the same things may be done to the 350. Now they are not as torquey as the 454 but can make alot of hp for there small size also much smaller engine and alot lighter with alum heads and manifold it is a crap load lighter than the 454. You will need to change springs for the smaller motor cause it will ride high with the bb springs.

I like both your options. Either one works well. Is your car number matching to the 454?