Hot Rod Forum banner

454 bbc or 355 sbc

12K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  496CHEVY3100 
#1 ·
I know there is no replacement for displacement but I want some opinions. I am currently running a stock 454 (casting 12550313) in a 64 chevy impala, well a friend has a brand new never run motor for sale. Its a 350 4 bolt bored to a 355, aluminum heads(which are worth atleast $1000), alum intake and roller cam and rockers etc. My question is what would you do? my friend is only asking $1000 for it because he just doesnt need the motor anymore and is well off financially, hence the cheap price. Pros and cons anyone? Its a stock 454 the car is not registered and is my project but is running and runs strong! I am not the most knowledgeable of motors but am mechanically inclined. just looking for insight thanks!

#3 ·
Is your car number matching to the 454?
It's a 64 impala, I don't think the 454 existed until 1970.

OP: Keep the 454. You'll end up happier in the end. Factor in the cost of a new torque converter and gears that you'll likely need to match up with the 350 and you could probably have enough in the 454 to make it a mean runner. It'll have way better street manners than any smaller displacement motor at the same power level. Like you said, no replacement for displacement.

#6 ·
If the 350 engine is new and never been run I would buy it in a heartbeat. Like you said the heads price at $1000 or more. He probably has about 4-5 grand in the engine. Deals like this don't happen very often! Put it on an engine stand and get it ready for storage. I would keep the big block in the car.

#7 ·
Ok so now im really stuck I can't stop thinking about this motor. My buddy still has it for sale (not advertising it). The wife won't let me buy unless I sell the bbc. I have never had a bbc before and to be honest have yet to see how the car rides with it. I like the whole persona of having a bbc but I just dont know if I should jump on this motor. Found out a couple things; the motor is a 350 4-bolt bored .60 over so I believe its a 360? roller cam ,lifters,rockers,edelbrock aluminum heads, edelbrock aluminum intake and the crank,rods,and pistons are all forged. My project is a 64 Chevy Impala factory 327 sbc car, pulled the drivetrain and put in 454 (casting 12550313) with a 700r4 trans. The car is not going to be a show car or daily driver not looking to race it but want it to move when i want it to so to speak lol. The 454 is stock no frills but runs great and strong. here is a picture of the small block. should I sell the bbc to get this sbc? I know I am being annoying but I figure why not ask all you gearheads before I do something I will regret Thanks again!

Attachments

#9 ·
Keep the big block. It wouldn't even been an option for me to think about, personally. I wouldn't trade a 396 for that 350, let alone a good running 454. The 454 is going to make the same power the small block is going to make with less effort at a more streetable rpm, all things being equal.

Plus I wouldn't want anyone's "performance" engine (even a friends) that was taken out to .060 over and has never been ran. I just don't have much faith in people, I suppose.

#10 ·
I have a 1967 Camaro that I have had since 1997. I originally had a rebuilt 454 mech roller in it since I bought it. Well in 2003 I wanted to rebuild the 454 with all forged internals. I had a 383 mech. roller motor sitting on an engine stand so I decided to put it in my Camaro. The 383 ran good with no problems but it just didn't have the low end torque the 454 had. I kept it in my Camaro until I finished rebuilding the 454 and out it came. I put my 454 back in and sold the 383 and don't regret it any. It is no way I could go back to a small block anymore and I have had many Chevies with 350s and 1 400 sbc. This big block is now a 491 ci and will be in the car until I am gone. My advice would be to keep your 454 engine, besides they are getting scarce and the cost of one keeps going up too.

#11 ·
Find out the cam specs for the 350, as it might require a converter and gears which can add another $1500 to the project.

A stock 700r can't handle much more than a stock 454. Be careful.

A BBC will get around 25% less mpg as a sbc, if that is a concern.

The sbc engine your friend has is worth much more than 1000. Buy the engine and sell it for 2500 then put the money towards the BBC. (aluminum edelbrock heads and intake).

What heads are on your 454?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.