454 block casting numbers how can i distinguish between marine and auto - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

454 block casting numbers how can i distinguish between marine and auto

I have a 38' boat which was supposed to have two 454 crusaders. When I got the boat it had only the port (RH rotation) engine. I bought my friends 22' Well craft which had a Mercruiser 454 (LH rotation) and sent both engines to a Guy who has a auto and marine mechanics shop. Long story short I brought him two engines which ran good for him to go thru and check out. I needed him to integrate the crusader raw water pump system on the Mercruiser and a few other things. Well I got back a different engine that has two blown cylinders. I figured that out after I got it back and replaced the fuel pump, starter, alternator and carburetor! All of which worked fine when I gave him the engines. I want to know how to distinguish between marine and auto as well as what the markings on the heads mean. Also should the markings on the heads match. If there r any other things that I can use when I take this guy to court I would greatly appreciate the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

Sorry for your luck. There are no differences in later BBC blocks/heads from truck and marine. Early blocks, pre 76 had MAR cast into some blocks. High hp. units have rectangle port heads. The differences are all add on stuff. Tho, most marine blocks will have a tag from the marine builder, with their serial number and rotation, riveted to the lower outer belhousing ares. (Mercruiser, Toyota, etc)

Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.com; 03-21-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Should the head casting numbers match

Thank You for your response. Much appreciated. What about the head casting numbers? Should they match as well as the other numbers? I'll attach a few pics if you don't mind taking a look. I know it's hard to determine from pics but if there is anything that is out of ordinary please let me know. I really appreciate your help and any other input. Thanx again for your time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0851.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	731.6 KB
ID:	64207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	506.0 KB
ID:	64208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	64209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	815.3 KB
ID:	64210  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

Casting no. is for 86-90 peanut port truck, These were also used as marine. Casting no. on head will not match anything on block.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:48 AM

a couple things often overlooked that COULD shed some light...

Brass expansion plugs? ALL marine engines should have them.

Stainless steel "fire rings" in the head gaskets? Another "must have" for a marine application.

FWIW

Jim
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Head Casting Numbers

First off I would like to thank you guys for your help. It's good to know that there are guys like you and a place like hotrodders that people like myself can turn to for help! Again, Thank You! If this mercruiser came from the Wellcraft factory would it have came with Brass expansion plugs and Stainless steel fire rings? Also if I'm not mistaken marine application and auto applications have different cams. Is that correct? If so i should be able to get a number off the cam correct? Will it match any of the other numbers on the engine? If there is anything else that you Gentlemen can think of that would help me decipher weather this block was from a auto/truck or from a marine application I would greatly appreciate the input. If there are any other pictures that I could post that would be helpful in anyway for you to see don't hesitate to ask. Thank You again for your time and knowledge!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

If you have the original selling documents for either boat, the motor and outdrive (if it's an outdrive setup) serial numbers are there. Also, when I titled and licensed my boat and trailer in Texas, I had to have those numbers to change the title and register it. Most people don't save that stuff, I did.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by howley68
Thank You for your response. Much appreciated. What about the head casting numbers? Should they match as well as the other numbers? I'll attach a few pics if you don't mind taking a look. I know it's hard to determine from pics but if there is anything that is out of ordinary please let me know. I really appreciate your help and any other input. Thanx again for your time!
The date codes on the heads (K17 8 and K25 8) indicate they in all likelihood were installed as a set. If these heads came on the block from the factory, the block casting numbers (look on the ledge back by where the bellhousing bolts on, on the top side of the block) should be within a few months of the casting date of the heads.

On the date codes, the K indicates the month, the 17 and 25 are the days of the month, the 8 is for a year ending in 8 (1978, '88, etc.).

There should be what is known as a "suffix code" stamped into a ledge that protrudes from the passenger side front of the block where the head and block meet. The suffix code will be the last few letters of a string of alphanumerics, an example of the suffix code itself (not the entire string of numbers/letters that may be present) is 8XA, which is for a 1988 454 310 HP Marine BBC engine, designated RPO L19.

A list of BBC suffix codes- including marine suffix codes- can be seen HERE when you select the "Big Block Chevy (BBC) Engine Suffix Codes" box.

I don't know if this will prove much, though- unless you have ironclad documentation that what you got back isn't what you gave them, that is.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM

Last photo:

outdrive ser. #

I do have the out drive ser. # Is this supposed to match the block numbers or any other numbers on the boat or pink? Unfortunately the dude who had the engine took the plate with the ser.# off of the block. That is why i only have the casting numbers to try and piece this crap together with. Ive also got the registration for the wellcraft that the engine was originally in. I sold the hull shortly after pulling the engine so I don't have the pink anymore but if there are numbers on it that would match any of the engine casting, or outdrive serial I can get a copy of it. Thank you again for all the knowledge. I know this is probably getting redundant for you guys but if nothing else I'm getting an education on all this. Also if any of u guys get out to Orange County CA and want to do some fishing definitely hit me up. I'll put u on some of the best yellow tail fishing you'll find anywhere! Don't worrie I have another boat for fishing! I'll post a pick of the outdrive ser# as well as the reg for the wellcraft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0905.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	64243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	641.4 KB
ID:	64244  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.