Hot Rod Forum banner

454 Build

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  steve14733 
#1 ·
I recently acquired a early 70's vintage 454 from a running 3/4 ton GM PU. I want to build it to 500 / 600 HP 500+ TQ motor for a Pro Street PU. I am looking at using a carb on the motor. What suggestions do you have on a combination of crank, heads, roller cam, carb, compression , rocker ratio. I would like to build this for a better price than just buying a crate motor from GM. Is that really possible. I would like this motor to be equivalent to a Ram Jet 502 or better. I know building a BBC has been going on for years, does anyone have suggestions for a reliable combination of parts that has a proven track record. I also would like to have the internals to spray this motor and have it hold up when I want to run it on the drag strip. I am building the frame 4 link and set-up for Fab 9 rearend 4 link tubbed rear end and IFS front with discs all around. 400 Turbo coupled to the BBC.

I am having a engine builder do the machine work, just want to know if there is a correct combination that I can use that's been around the block and works. Hopefully the block is sound and is a builder. Does it make more since to just start off with a Dart block? don't want to spend the extra money if it is not really necessary. Lets make it run on pump gas also.

Thanks,

48bill

See less See more
#3 ·
Here is a combo that a friend of mine just had built and dynoed. I think it would work well in your situation. Also, If you are going to be spraying on it, I think forged pistons are a good idea. Other than that, unless you have alot of money to spend, I would recommend eagle forged rods and an eagle cast steel crank.

468 ci
9.5:1 compression
cleaned up oval 781 casting heads with some bowl work and 2.19 1.88 valves
victor Jr intake ported by him
850 mighty demon carb
242 248 @.050 duration ~.600 lift comp hyd roller cam
566 hp @ 6100 RPM, 560 tq on pump gas

Those numbers were with thick 25W50 oil, so it might make a few more with some 10W30. Also, his cam was a custom grind, but the comp 294HR is almost identical to it.

Also, an aftermarket block is not necessery at all with your setup.

Good luck
Adam

#6 ·
cpankey226 said:
I have a 427 bored .060 with this combo . BB2 plus heads 14.1 compression and a Harold Brookshire Ultradyne ground 312/322 duration 714/690 lift solid roller cam. I like it alot. I would do a 454 or 468 with the same combo in heartbeat.jmho
Not with a real c.r. like that in a street motor.

IMO you'll be very hard pressed build a motor like the 502 HO for the money. You can get a 502, short block for around $5k and a long block runs around $8k.

I would never even consider running cast parts in the 600 HP range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.