454 build need some advice - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

As was said already, the problem will be with the extremely large chambers which could easily be 122 cc's and will make it necessary to use a domed piston to achieve a decent static compression ratio.

Boring to a larger bore size piston will help, as will a longer stroke crank. Both will increase the cubic inches which raises the static compression ratio. I'm sure you know this, but I like to spell it out for others who may be reading this thread.

A professional engine builder that I know will not build a BBC with a flat tappet cam unless the buyer signs a liability release form. He says he has had too many of them roached in the BBC. Therefore, I would use a retro-fit hydraulic roller in such a motor, based on his experience.

The 049 heads may not be the whiz-bang performers that you perceive them to be. They're pretty mild.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 02:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
As was said already, the problem will be with the extremely large chambers which could easily be 122 cc's and will make it necessary to use a domed piston to achieve a decent static compression ratio.

Boring to a larger bore size piston will help, as will a longer stroke crank. Both will increase the cubic inches which raises the static compression ratio. I'm sure you know this, but I like to spell it out for others who may be reading this thread.

A professional engine builder that I know will not build a BBC with a flat tappet cam unless the buyer signs a liability release form. He says he has had too many of them roached in the BBC. Therefore, I would use a retro-fit hydraulic roller in such a motor, based on his experience.

The 049 heads may not be the whiz-bang performers that you perceive them to be. They're pretty mild.

I agree on the retro roller cam, with the oils today it's just not safe to run a flat tappet cam.

As for compression that kind of depends how much HP you want to make. If you want 450hp then 9.5-10:1 compression is going to be needed.

The 454 I built for my '71 GMC has dome pistons and a hydralic roller cam. The dome on the piston is small, but it does give me 10-10.5:1 compression with the 781's head that I am running. The 781's have some of the largest oval ports that came in GM BBC heads. I installed 2.19 and 1.88 valve and had a little pocket porting done to them. As for the cam it's a Comp Cams Nitrous grind, NX279HR, it has 279/294 duration and .537/.541 lift on a 113 LSA, 2000-6200 power range. I figure this setup is good for 450-500hp.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Good info on the cam most of the proublems people have that I have read are with flat tappet cams. I figured the 049 heads would work really well in a street motor gonna change to 219 188 valve and do some mild work hoping to only spend a few hundred bucks. Aftermarkets would be nice but the are about 1500 to 2000 and a lot are rect and a little more then I think I need. I have been told the 049 are more then enough for my application. 450 to 500 is my goal I think that would be a great engine and be a lot of fun. Around 500 tq would be great and I don't think it would be to hard to handle on the street. As always thanks for the info and any advice is always welcome

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.