Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsepoweraddiction View Post
This is my first ever build, and I don't know everything, but I'm learning and I need all the help I can get. All I want is a truck I can race a little but still drive it on the road. My budget isn't the best but I'm willing to work a little. That's why I want to know what the right thing is to get because I have had no experience with motors before a year ago. I'm just looking for the best for what I got.
Before buying an intake, you first need to see what the casting number of the heads that are on the engine now to know where to go next, as far as buying parts goes.

There's a decent chance you have what's called "peanut port" heads. They make a lot of torque down low but not a lot of HP up higher in the rev range. The only intake I know of that's made specifically for the PP heads is Weiand's - p/n 8122 Street Warrior. For oval port heads, use Edelbrock p/n 7164 RPM intake.

If you want 500 HP, you'll need a set of oval port heads like the 049 or 781. Adding larger valves will help, but not absolutely necessary unless you're going to get serious- and if THAT were the case, I'd say to save up for a set of aluminum aftermarket heads.