Thread: 454 build up
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsepoweraddiction View Post
i'm going mechanical roller and would i get more performance with a set of forged pistons ? i 'might' run a small nitrous set up.
Mech roller: Woah! There's a jump in price. You building a high-RPM race motor now?

You don't get "more performance" from forged pistons. You buy forged pistons because they can take more punishment and survive.

Nitrous rules. Cheap HP. Make sure you have a good fuel system. Run a plate kit. I would run a fuel pressure gauge you can SEE while you are driving. You lose fuel pressure on the spray, and you can do engine damage. Watch your ignition timing. Rule is back off 2deg per 50HP over 100hp on the nitrous kit. Colder plug above 150hp kit. I would actually recommend between 100hp-150hp. No more. Thats a good safe range. You can run a bone stock motor on a 100-shot.

I would forget the mechanical roller setup. Way too expensive for a street/strip motor. That Xe274 cam you had picked out is actually awesome. I run the next size up in that line. Very happy with it.
You plan on twisting that big motor past 6,500 rpms? If not, run the oval port heads, 9.5 compression, the 274 hydraulic cam, 1.7 roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap intake, headers + dual exhaust, MSD 6AL box, 3:89 - 4:11 gears, a 3,000 stall converter, the N2O plate kit, some cheater slicks, and be happy.

The only reason to go roller cam, and big aluminum heads is if you are running a big-inch stroker motor, 14:1 compression race gas, high-RPM 7,000+.
If you want to keep it "streetable", run that setup I recommended.
Save money. Have fun.

Last edited by 632Mantis; 11-19-2012 at 09:34 PM.