454 chevy in 79 trans am, possible? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2003, 03:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 454 chevy in 79 trans am, possible?

Ok, i have been trying like hell to find out exactly what i need to put a 86 454 into a 79 trans am which has a 403 in it now, i just have questions on motor mounts trans mounts and other stuff like that just to know what i have to do to make it fit in the car , anyone who has done this or knows what to do it would be most helpful, you can email me at big_white_hog_guy@yahoo.com thanks

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Trans Am Benny ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2003, 04:07 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

I've seen several Chevy to Poncho swaps and they just use the corresponding Chevy mounts, in your case a Camaro.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:58 PM

Woodz is right. All you need are the Camaro motor mount brackets and mounts. Trans mount doesn't need to be changed unless it worn out. You will have to make a few minor changes to the engine wiring harness as the starter in on the driver side of the Olds and passenger side of the Chevy. It's really a pretty straight forward swap. If you aren't swapping out the BOP transmission you will have to get an adapter from Summit or Jegs to adapt the BOP bolt pattern on the tranny to the Chevy engine block. Should be about $55.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

You can bolt the 454 in using mounts that woud normally fit a 305 or 350 chevy into your car.t will bolt right in.The truck exhaust manifolds should fit.If you want to use headers,you should be abl to use the chapie summit headers for this swap,and they will bolt right in.If you want better headers,you can get hooker compitition headers listed for a 70 thru 72 camaro with a 396,and they will bolt right in,but you will have to either use 1972 and earlier motor mounts,or use the tmplate that hooker ives you with the headers to cut and notch the stock later style mount to fit their headers{it isnt a big job for a sawzall or a sharp hacksaw blade}.In all the 70 thru 81 firebirds and camaros,tall valve covers are a little tight for power brakes,and air conditioning,so low rise or stock valv covers will be needed.As for the intake manifold,anythng other then a stock intake and carb will need some kind of raised hood.Othere then that,it is a slam dunk.Any radiator from a camaro will fit,and you can find a fan shroud or even modify your poncho one to fit.Good luck.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:54 PM

TRY THIS ONE ON, EVERY TA IVE PULLED OUT HAD A 1/2 IN BAR BOLTED TO THE BLOCK THAT SAT ON TOP OF A CHEVY FRAME MOUNT, TAKE A LOOK SEE.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

hi,
my name is Daniel. Since a long time I'm reading your forum. A++
I know that this thread is very very old, but I have now the same problem. I'm driving a 1979 Trans Am and this summer the car will get his 454 Chevy engine.

So what exhaust manifolds should I take? Original from an 1972 Camaro with the 396 engine or headers? Can somebody help me. Some product numbers will be very great.

Greatings from Germany...Daniel
Old 06-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

I would go with the cheapest summit headers available for a camaro with a big block. That way if they don't quite fit you can beat the heck out of them and not feel bad.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

trans am

im having the same problem here, i had a olds 403, and now im putting a 396 in, i have chevy mounts on frame and motor but it still wont line up?? any specific mounts i need to get r in?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

454 chevy in 79 trans am, Question

Can you tell me how this worked out. I am also thinking about doing this with my 1978. I want to keep the shaker scoop and hood.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 PM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

you'd find much more help on www.nastyz28.com, even more there than here and www.transamcountry.com combined.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.