Hot Rod Forum banner

454 chevy big block

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  hedonite 
#1 ·
I just got a chevy 454 with transmition. I want to put it in my 1950 Hudson and get it running before spending a bunch of cash on it. I would like to port the heads and run headders. What other "low cost" improvements should I do before I start it up?:cool:

#2 ·
454 Hudson

what kind of comression does your 454 have?
Are you anticipating an aftermarket intake? cam? carburetion? ignition?
If you can find headers to fit your setup, thats always a good place to start. Not real familiar with the old Hudsons, so you might want to do some careful measuring of the engine bay, frame width, and the width length, and height of your engine.
You may well have to use a header thats designed for your engine going into a tight chassis like a Nova or Camaro.
Things to consider are your steering linkages, master cylinder, heater box, things like that.

Are you going to run a stick or automatic trans? An automatic may well be the easier way to swap.
What about your radiator?

#3 ·
engine

Lets us know what it came out of.... If it's a LS6 or LS7 454 you don't need to do anything, it will peal your skin off just the way it is.... If it'a a 200 hp truck engine then you will need to do some things. The big block responds very will to simple mods....

Are you after a driver,racer,good mpg??? pump gas??? race gas???

Keith

#4 · (Edited)
no ,454, with a 4 on the floor. be in charge. ok ,with a auto you get a converter that has the ability to multiply torque. up to a 2 to 1 ratio i believe(at stall). that is a extra bonus no lie. you also have a constant slip rate of like 10%,which sounds bad. with a manual you have the ability of more torque split to keep the rpms from falling(important). a variable stall left foot on the clutch. direct mechanical connection. it comes down to your ability as adriver,and preference. i just want to lay the cards out on the table. not make up your mind.

i wish i knew how to start a poll, or attach a picture for that matter. in my dreams, hotrods have manuals.

what 3rd member are you using?
a 454 is the cats meow!

#5 ·
just want reliable engine

This is a stock 454 with an automatic and 4 barrel. I'm not sure yet what it came out of (haven't picked it up yet). I'm just looking to have a reliable high horsepower engine. I would like to change the CAM and port the heads before I put it in.

Thanks for all of the info. Can you also recommend a rearend? Late Comero?

#6 ·
If you are going to make a stomper out of it later, I'd just put in a new timing set, oil pump&pickup, reseal it, and run it.
You can do the heads when you rip it down for the major build.
My instructor at NCKAVTS had an old Hudson with a 390 in it. He said it would scare him. That explains the horseshoe screwed to the firewall.
But then again, a big block bathtub is pretty scary anyhow:D

#7 ·
packratwrecker said:
If you are going to make a stomper out of it later, I'd just put in a new timing set, oil pump&pickup, reseal it, and run it.
:D
Thanks packrat. I will replace those. Do you recommend anything?

The existing engine is a straight six. I don't want to just send this old cool engine to the junk. I've seen guys into that retro stuff so I'll put it on e-bay for $10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.