454 cid motor vaule???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2003, 09:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 454 cid motor vaule????

I have a 1973 Chevy 454 cid Hi performance passenger motor, all stock, and runs great like new, i was told this motor is worth alot, due to its age and ratings. Is this true, how much could i sell it for.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2003, 10:02 PM

my uncle had a 454 out of a 73' chevy and i believe he sold it to a guy that was going to totally rebuild it for strip use and he got 800 for the whole motor. and it ran great, you may look into that price range im not really sure though im not a BB guy i like small blocks.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:42 AM

Last photo:

it depends i would also say somthing in the 1000 dollar range, but it all depends on what parts are on the engine, is it a steel or a cast crank? does it have 2 or 4 bolt mains, does it have oval or rectangular port heads?, has it ever been bored? what intake is on the engine? 4bbl, 3x2?? and so on..
Old 02-17-2003, 01:49 AM

Last photo:

a lot of the std. hp big blocks has hi preformance casted into the block, It is very misleading to many people,I could never understand why GM put this on the std. stock motors.73 motors were smog motors,lower compression,smog cam shafts,cast crank,etc, they can be made to run great and run good in std. form.a good running 73 454 is worth what the market will bear,$800-1000 is about what it is worth,If it was an over the counter true 450 hp 454,then it is worth a hole lot more.GM didn't offer any real Hi Preforance motors installed in there cars in 73,you could buy the big horsepower motors over the counter,[didn't call them crate motors back then,"replacement motors"]1970 would be the first and last real hi horsepower 454 for production cars,after 70, the government got involved with all of the manufactures.big blocks made after that went down hill.Not meaning that they were bad motors,but not as hot.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:04 AM

Last photo:

That should be a very good engine.It should be a cast crank,2 bolt block,but the block is made of the earlier high nickel content material.If it is a #289 casting block,it is one of the thickest bigblocks ever made and will usually take a 1/8" overbore with no problems,but you always need to check.Later #289 blocks made after 1974 were also thick,but the metal content was mariginal.The heads should also be very good,even pickup trucks of that vintage had good heads.Look for the casting number to end in #049 in that year,which denotes large port oval ports with 113cc chambers.The core parts of that engine such as the block,crank,rods and heads can be used to make a solid 600 hp engine,and even if the block is a lesser #959 casting,it isnt the end of the world,but the bore may be limited to .060" over.In core form,it is only worth about $500,which is what I pay for thm,and even as a good running engine it isnt worth much more because they arent good perfromaers in stock form,but they are worthwhile to rebuild for performance use.You can make a killer street engine out of a 1973 passenger car core.Good luck.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:06 PM

A 1000 DOLLARS IS A GOOD PLACE TO START BEING IN ALASKA IM SURE PRICES ARE DIFFERENT THAN NC SO COULD BE EVEN MORE DEPENDING ON DEMAND.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.