Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 454 compression test
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10 View Post
Also, after you put the push rods and rockers back on and adjust them. Redo the compression test and mark the weak cylinders. Pull the head and lap in the valves at those cylinders. Then bolt the head back on and try it again.

But you will need a new cam. Get a summit racing cam. Cost 100.00 and comes with lifters. Get the smallest cam summit has for the BBC. This cam has nice soft ramps which makes for a long life. If you get anything more aggressive the odds of a flat lobe go way up.

And, get the springs tested to see how much seat pressure and how much at 0.500". Measure the installed height before removing a spring. The small summit cam doesn't need much spring. 90 to 100lbs on the seat and 240-270lbs at 0.500" will be enough. The trick is to use the least amount of spring force as possible, this will make for a long cam life.

Also look into the BC Engineering over cam oiling systems for BBC. the kit cost about 60.00.
I was going threw the summit catalog looking at cam kits and springs. And came across this:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k11-205-3
Sounds like a nice kit and eliminates all the guess work. My only concern is do I put shims under the springs?
If you look at my recent pictures by name above, you will see 1 shim on the intake valve guide and a larger shim under the exhaust spring.