Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 454 Crank into 402 build 550hp goal
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

I think the 315 are the hot ticket with afr heads. Yeah the little ones will make good snap but if your shooting for 500+ why not go with the bigger heads. But i understand cost can be a killer.

Heads, compression and cam all work together and need to be selected with each in mind. Cam needs big compression so you will need better pistons im sure afr may have some recommendations. Once you got the heads figured it should all fall into place. get pistons that match the shape of your heads so they will fit the chamber correctly and not have clearence issues or poor combustion issues. With dome pistons its important to get the shape right.

Dont stroke it or bore more than one normal over bore for new piston install. You can make that kind of power with a 383 so with the 396 in race trim it should be pretty easily done with the right parts.

Make sure the rotating assebly can turn at 6k rpm or more and not come apart. At that rpm level you will be able to make plenty of hp as long as the heads and compression can support it.

you will notice i did not add any part numbers i am not expert with the 396. And wouldnt want to guess at parts that may work when you really need to hit it right on. I would start buy calling afr and asking if they had recommendation on the type and shape of the new pistons. They can atleast explain the combustion chamber so when you call the piston manufacturer you will know what type of pistons you need to ask for and go from there. Some of the other guys on the site can surely help more.

Last edited by hcompton; 12-03-2012 at 06:29 PM.