454 crankshaft end play - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 12:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

454 crankshaft end play

Today I installed a new flexplate and removed the harmonic balencer bolt on my 454. I noticed a little play when I moved the pulley back and forth and i would here a bong sound. I did the same thing to my running 305 ( had it for 9 yrs) in my 69 chevelle, had the same play. Is this normal? Or am I losing it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

You do need some end play, a reasonable amount of BBC crank end play (back and forth movement) is .005" to .007" with caps installed.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 05-03-2013, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

Ok, now my engine is an assembled long block, I would still have end play with the rods and pistons installed?
Do I have to remove the harmonic balancer to check end play?
Do I need to remove the water pump and timing chain?
Then, where do I set the dial indicator?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Well, you have to have the pan off, without excessive pressure, pry the crank all the way forward, set your dial indicator on the crank flange, zero it and move the crank to the rear, see how much it moves. If it's not enough, it's been said you can slam it with a BFH to seat the thrust bearing, not my style though...

Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Last photo:

Well I took my pan off and found out the oil pick up is to big for my 69 chevelle oil pan. I also found a v shaped groove on the side of the rear main cap, can this be repaired?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	73795  

Last edited by ss396si; 05-06-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The short reply is if you replace main bearing caps you will need to have them resized/aligned, ala line bored/honed.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396si View Post
Well I took my pan off and found out the oil pick up is to big for my 69 chevelle oil pan. I also found a v shaped groove on the side of the rear main cap, can this be repaired?
The V-shaped groove is where the cap was machined at the factory to make room for the oil pump drive to come down from the end of the distributor intermediate shaft, through the cap to engage the pump. Fear not, it's ok.

Not sure what you mean when you say the oil pickup is too big for the pan. Are you saying that the pickup sits down against the bottom of the pan or what? Ideal clearance from the bottom of the pickup to the bottom of the pan is about 3/8". If you get the pump pickup any closer than that, the pump can suck the pan bottom up against the pickup and shut off oil flow completely.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

I bought this motor used, the oil pan that it came with is larger compared to the 69 chevelle big block oil pan I purchased. I layed them side by side and the chevelle pan is shorter by an 1" or 2" next to the used pan. I test fit the chevelle pan on the block. The pan won't fit due to the oil pick up being to long. I put the other pan on and the pickup slides underneath the tray and bolts in.
So I'm thinking I might need a new pump. Summit sells an oil pump with pick up welded on,but its only sold in high volume pressue. If I purchase this pump I will have to change it to standard volume by changing the spring.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396si View Post
So I'm thinking I might need a new pump. Summit sells an oil pump with pick up welded on,but its only sold in high volume pressue. If I purchase this pump I will have to change it to standard volume by changing the spring.
You don't necessarily need another pump, you just need a shorter pickup for the pump you have. This stuff ain't rocket surgery, you can cut and weld the pickup back together if you can weld or know someone who can weld without introducing dingleberries to the inside of the tube. The main thing you want to do is to properly position the pickup in relation to the bottom of the pan with ~3/8" clearance. Make an ice-cream-cone shaped piece of modeling clay (available from craft or hobby shops) and push it onto the bottom of the pickup. Put a little engine oil on the clay so that it will not stick to the pan. With the gasket in place around the lip of the pan, push the pan up into position where you would bolt it on. Now remove the pan and measure the ice cream cone of clay. If it has been shmushed against the pan bottom and sticks down ~3/8ths of an inch from the pickup, life is good. If not, go to plan B.

I'm making this sound almost whimsical, but believe me, this part of the build is CRITICAL
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

I ask alot Questions, how much oil is in the bottom of the pan of a running engine? How much oil does the pump have to keep the engine supplied with oil?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Ok, i successfully installed the stock pump. Now I removed my balancer and I noticed the front key is loose on the crank snout. How to I remove,measure and install a new one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	74204  
Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

I checked crankshaft end play and read .012 off the dial indicator.
You think I need a new crank?

Last edited by ss396si; 05-31-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:27 AM

A loose keyway is a problem if the key isn't worn. That's a #9 Woodruff key. New ones are $.50 at a good hardware store, and yes, they're "hard" enough. If the new one is loose, the crank is worn. If you need to tap it in a little (not a lot), it's good. Be careful to not swedge the edges.

.012" really is a bit much end-play. If it's an auto trans, it's probably okay for medium duty. If a manual trans, no, it needs attention. It's probably not the crank that's worn, but the bearing. If the crank measures "round and straight" (literally) and has no damage, replacing the bearings will "fix" it. Over-sized thrust bearings are available, so the crank, even if damaged there, can be saved. If it's a "real" 396, it has a good steel crank, worth repairing. If it's a 402 crank, it's cast, but is still okay for medium duty. No welding on the casting...

Jim
Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
A loose keyway is a problem if the key isn't worn. That's a #9 Woodruff key. New ones are $.50 at a good hardware store, and yes, they're "hard" enough. If the new one is loose, the crank is worn. If you need to tap it in a little (not a lot), it's good. Be careful to not swedge the edges.

.012" really is a bit much end-play. If it's an auto trans, it's probably okay for medium duty. If a manual trans, no, it needs attention. It's probably not the crank that's worn, but the bearing. If the crank measures "round and straight" (literally) and has no damage, replacing the bearings will "fix" it. Over-sized thrust bearings are available, so the crank, even if damaged there, can be saved. If it's a "real" 396, it has a good steel crank, worth repairing. If it's a 402 crank, it's cast, but is still okay for medium duty. No welding on the casting...

Jim
Thanks for the info. My engine is 454 oem crank. I will unbolt the rods and mains. Then put a dial indicator on the journals. To see if it spins true and straight. I've never rebuilt an engine before. How Can I install the pistons to connecting rods and the piston rings and bearings at home? What needs to be brought to the machine shop?
Can I buy a crank from summit and simply install it? Or do I have get it balanced?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.