454 Forged Crank Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 PM

Last journal entry: Gunked up 454 water jacket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

454 Forged Crank Question

I am looking at purchasing a forged crank for my 454 project. The guy claims it is a 7463 casting but has told me that the casting number is not on the crank any longer. He claims it may have been removed during balancing. It's a standard grind and he states (I have not seen the crank yet) that it will need to be turned (I'm hoping 10/10 will clean it up) before installation. He wants $150 for it.

My question is there any way to tell if the crank is a 7463 if in fact the casting number is missing? Date code? Any other identifier? I am just a little leary of purchasing a crank that I can't confirm the identity of. When balancing a crank I fully understand that certain parts of the journal may be removed during the balancing process, but would they take the casting numbers off in order to balance? I'm guessing they might have to but I wanted to know if that was a practice.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 PM

not to sure on this issue but depending on your application and what your doing theres an online company called CNCMotorsports.com that sells really in expensive cranks, rotating assemblies and there top quality eagle-scat. The pricing is really cheat even my machinist couldnt get kits as cheap from eagle as I could get them from this outfit. A full internal balanced 496 competition rotating assembly thats h-beam rods je pistons 4340 forged crank was only 1700. you might check there by the time you turn and prep a used crank you may be able to get real close if not right on a a new one. the 5140 forged cast are actually really good cranks if your not going to run nitrous or huffer. Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

if you have a cast 454 crank and only plan to spinning it up to 6,000 rpms then save your money and use the cast crank.

FYI, forged cranks have wide casting marks (1/2" wide) and cast cranks have really narrow ones (sharp edge).
Old 01-28-2009, 09:17 PM

Last journal entry: Gunked up 454 water jacket
Last photo:

C10,

Thanks for the reply. I know how to identify a forged crank, I was just wondering if you could identify the specific casting by some other means other than the casting number. I also understand that a stock crank will get me to 6k RPM. I just figured the forged crank might be nice to have. He has dropped the price down to $150.

Last edited by 31fordcoupe; 01-28-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Last photo:

I would buy it with the stipulation that a competent automotive machinist check it out and give you the OK.

Vince
Old 01-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

I would second 302 Z28 advice! I tried to purchase a "used" forged crank for my 454, turned out to have a number of cracks in it so I ended up "flushing" $150 down the drain. As indicated, have the crank checked out as a contingency of the sale. Good Luck!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.