Hot Rod Forum banner

454 fuel issues

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DoubleVision 
#1 ·
Got my 454 BBC started and broke in. Changed the oil and filter and have driven it about 130 or so miles. It has been running rich but i didnt see a problem with it running rich, better than lean until i can spend more time fiddling with the carb. I started it yesterday and pulled it out of the garage to wash the car.
I washed the car and tried to start the car, it started and ran for a few moments then died out. Would fire for a short period then die out. Then i think i flooded it because it just wouldnt start anymore. Pulled the plugs and they were wet with fuel, wiped them off and tried again, got it to fire for a short period then died. Figured i'd go buy new plugs and try again today. Put them in and fired up the car for about 10 seconds or so and it just dies out. Started fiddling with the carb and checking my fuel line and making sure there was plenty of fuel in the bowls.

The motor is obviously a 454
BG 850 Silver claw DP carb
10:1 CR
hyd flat tappet 230/230 @ .050 (280H comp cam)
Mallory Hyfire sportsman VIIs
Brand new coil/module/cap/rotor

plugs are a few years old and one was burned through on the header a bit but has never cause any issues. I have new ones on order.

Ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Check the spark, it sounds like you may have gotten a ignition component wet or a part in the ignition system is going bad. Running for a short time then dying is a classic sign. Put a spark tester on it, start it and watch the tester, if you see a yellow spark it means weak. After it shuts down turn it over and watch the tester, if you don`t see spark you`ve found where the issue lies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.