454 Heads -- did I blow this deal? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

454 Heads -- did I blow this deal?

Hi Folks,

Tell me if you think I did the wrong thing here.

This is the ad:
Rebuilt 454 heads, cost $800.00, sell for $400.00 (Phone #)

So I phoned the guy, left message asking him to provide casting # and port dimensions.

Meanwhile I phoned a machine shop, explained that I was contemplating buying some "rebuilt" heads, and asked how much to do an inspection. The answer was $150.00, but it was a thorough disassembly, measure everything, and provide a detailed unbiased report.

So the seller phones back and advises casting # is 336781 (large oval port with 113.0 cc chambers ... probably a good head to get, right?)

Then I asked him if he has receipts / work-orders for the work that had be done? He says "No, I took these heads from a guy that owed me money ... and he didn't give them to me."

OK ... so now I really want this inspection done ... because I wouldn't buy something like that on someone's say-so. I tell this guy that I would gladly pay the $400.00 asking price, as long as he pays for the inspection.

He YELLS: "I don't F*ing think so." <click> (Whoa!)
This was pretty much the end of the negotiation process

I waited 15 minutes for him to "cool his jets", then phoned back. I got his message machine, and left the message: "Obviously, you weren't impressed with my offer ... but's lets be men and discuss it civilly. Phone me back and we'll talk about it."

It's been about 5 hrs ... and still no call.

If he had been just a little more reasonable, willing to go 50/50 on the inspection, I surely would have bought them as long as the inspection results were good.

Did I go to far in expecting an inspection? Have I blown "the deal of a lifetime"?

Don

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Someone wants to act like that, I wouldn`t waste my time on them, he`s not the only one out there with a set of those castings. I won`t buy heads unless they`ve been magnafluxed to assure to me there not cracked. If this guy don`t want you to have them inspected and be willing to pay for the inspection then it seems to me there`s something to hide. I dunno where your located, but to have heads magged here is $25, to check the straightness shouldn`t be no more than $10, you can check the guides yourself. I can`t see paying anyone $150 just to inspect a set of heads, but that`s just me.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:34 PM

If I had a set of heads for sale, I would be fine with taking them to a machine shop and getting them checked for the guy first. BUT, there's no way I'd pay the bill for it. Especially $150. I would honestly think it was a scam. DV is right, that sounds aweful high to me.

Sometimes buying stuff like that is tricky. Sometimes you can buy with a commitment for a refund if cracked, but sometimes it don't mean squat.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

don't worry about it. 781's are still pretty plentiful, you will find another set. I agree however, that the seller will not usually pay for an inspection. It's usually as where is unless there are thousands involved.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:26 PM

Last photo:

Next time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken383
If I had a set of heads for sale, I would be fine with taking them to a machine shop and getting them checked for the guy first. BUT, there's no way I'd pay the bill for it. Especially $150. I would honestly think it was a scam. DV is right, that sounds aweful high to me.

Sometimes buying stuff like that is tricky. Sometimes you can buy with a commitment for a refund if cracked, but sometimes it don't mean squat.
Yeah, I'm sure that you're right. I guess that it's me that wants to be assured of what I'm buying, so I should be paying for the inspection. If the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure that my outlook may have been different. The caveat should be that I have the "right of refusal" to purchase if I'm not satisfied with the outcome.

There's no way that I'd go for the "refund if cracked" scenario ... like you said, it doesn't mean squat ... unless perhaps you're prepared to hire a lawyer to make sure that the commitment is binding.

The next time the opportunity to purchase what "sounds like a deal" presents itself, I'll probably make the offer to purchase contingent on the inspection. I still wouldn't hand the money over to the seller blindly trusting him without having some kind of proof of what he says has been done... has indeed been done!

In this case, I now understand that this seller already feels like he's taken a beating ... being forced to sell them for 50% of what he was owed. The moral of his story is that "a sale is a gift until it's paid for" ... and I feel for him somewhat. The thing that I object to is the fact that he flew off the handle, and refused any type of negotiating. He's going to own those heads for a long time with that attitude.

As far as the high-priced inspection goes, I don't know ... I have mixed feelings on that, too. If I get a cheaper inspection done and the machine shop says they're fine ... but they're not ... what recourse would I have? I don't really have the skills to know what I'm looking for, or to do the work myself (so that I know it's done right) Having a professional and thorough inspection done would give me a lot of "peace - of - mind" knowing that it's been done correctly, so I won't have to tear it down for a "re-do" later. That kind of aggravation takes all the fun out of doing this.

Don
Old 07-12-2005, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

those heads are nothing special...find another set easyily..but i would not pay to them inspected than sell them to the person...i am just that way..hey if you dont want them fine...type thing...that would be like going to a car dealer and telling them i will buy this car but i want you to pay my mechainc for his time to go over the car ...the only deal i have ever had like that was i sold a motor to a man...it was a 347 just like mine i have now...all forged parts..etc..he wanted me to tear it down for him to see the parts ..so we made a deal that if any part was not what i said it to be than he did not have to buy it but if every thing was the way i said( which it was) and he didt buy it for some reason i wanted all the gaskets replaced plus 100.00 for my time...long story short he bought the motor..
Old 07-12-2005, 11:06 PM
POOR SEND HELP!!!

Yes you are out of line expecting someone to shell out $150 on a $400 purchase.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:55 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

People usually sell things to make money, not loose it. Loosing $150 on a $400 item is pretty lame. Were you prepared to give the guy $550 for the test and heads if they checked out? That would be fair.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347mustang
those heads are nothing special.....
I disagree with you on this statement. The reason this person that initiated the thread is buying these heads, knows that these are the best flowing BBC oval port heads GM made. With the larger valves 2.19/1.88 installed, they can support up to/over 600 hp. Kind of special to me when they can support that kind of horsepower and still maintain velocity for excellent throttle response for the street.

I have 2 pair, one virgin and one milled. They will be used for a very hot torquey 496 and 396. I can't wait till they get back from the shop.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
"No, I took these heads from a guy that owed me money ... and he didn't give them to me."
Right there I would have been the one hanging up. This already sounds shady. If you had bought them, the original owner could have come after you, because technically you posses stolen property. If you need some heads, try VS Truckworks by Acadia Valley. They specialize in GM truck parts, and can ship to you. 1-403-972-3879. Ask for Joanne.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:24 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

The other end of the stick

Being the one selling heads I had a similar experience. I have a guy have me work all day to remove a set of heads he needs today, big emergency. I delivered the set of heads to the guy's doorstep that evening, where he was suppose to pay me. On arriving he tells me he will not pay for the heads until he has them checked out. To just leave them with him. I am choked.

So, I agreed to drop them off at the machine shop of his choice the next morning. The machinist called in sick for the next 3 days. He wouldn't let me take them to a different machine shop. So I sold the heads to someone else.

The guy phones me up swearing at me for selling the heads. I don't know exactly how long he thought I was going to hold these heads for him with no deposit.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

Sounds "shady"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchevfreak
This already sounds shady.
If you need some heads, try VS Truckworks by Acadia Valley.
Shady...
Well, yeah, that was one of the things that went thru my mind as a possibilty, while I was trying to justify his reaction.

As I mentioned in the original post, I had left a message for him to call me back and discuss it civally, and that still hasn't happened. The ad is not on the bargain finder website anymore either ... did he sell them or pull the ad?

Anyway ... I'm going to continue looking, even though this may have been a good deal. There are another set advertised as "781-454 heads, no valves, tanked & magnafluxed, $400 obo" (same price).

You are the second guy to mention that Acadia Truckworks / Joanne ... they must be pretty good? It looks like your from Sask ... whereabouts? I also grew up in Sask ... all over the province!

Don
Old 07-13-2005, 03:58 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

still looking

Since you are still looking for heads. You may want to add these to your list of suitables.
3909802....67......oval..CLOSED..396, 427, 101cc chamber
3917215....67-68...oval..CLOSED..396, 427, 101cc chamber
3964290....69-70...oval..CLOSED..396, 402, 427, 454, 101cc chamber
I purchased a set of 215s 2 yrs ago and am very happy with them. I got them complete, with and flowed with a Victor Jr intake.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketeer
Since you are still looking for heads. You may want to add these to your list of suitables.
Thanks Brack.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

HERE is a good deal on some heads. The first 2 are great heads. Good luck.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.