454 intake manifold question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 08:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

454 intake manifold question

Hey guys, got a 1980 454 motor in a 1959 chevy truck. I am about to change the intake manifold gaskets and dont know which ones to get. I see the correct port ones (oval port) but see some with the exhaust crossover blocked off and some open and some coming with water restrictors (4 individual ones)

What are those 4 restrictors for and should I use them?
Should I block off the exhaust crossover or no?

The heads are cast iron I believe and I am running full length headers not exhaust manifolds.

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestore View Post
Hey guys, got a 1980 454 motor in a 1959 chevy truck. I am about to change the intake manifold gaskets and dont know which ones to get. I see the correct port ones (oval port) but see some with the exhaust crossover blocked off and some open and some coming with water restrictors (4 individual ones)

What are those 4 restrictors for and should I use them?
Should I block off the exhaust crossover or no?

The heads are cast iron I believe and I am running full length headers not exhaust manifolds.

Thanks for the info.
I never restrict the water passages as most big blks run warm/hot and the exh crossover is for a choke that isn't electric so it can heat the choke element up with hot exhaust, so if using an elect choke as most do use the blocked off gaskets. Make sure to go by engine year this limits gaskets.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:48 PM

454 intake manifold gaskets

Use the part # from this summit racing website and see if your local auto parts store can get you the gaskets. If not go to a speed shop in your area. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-MS902402/

Last edited by cdminter59; 07-20-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: forgot website info
Old 07-21-2012, 03:17 AM

Last journal entry: 310 Small Block Chevy
Last photo:

Edelbrock verses Wieand

This doesn't have anything to do with your gasket question, but the title of your thread peaked my interest.
If your running a edelbrock two plane and your motor is at all hopped up seriously think about discarding the intake for a wieand.
The edel in my opinion is junk, the 454 needs to breath, even port matched the edelbrock is a downer. even just looking at the runners you can see the weiand is a better intake.
Ive run both on my 461 and the weiand pulled way harder all over especially on top.
IMHO Pete
Old 07-21-2012, 04:48 AM

Last photo:

I typically use the exhaust crossover restrictors since I live in a warm climate. It still flows, just not as much.

I have been putting on intakes for over 30 years and I have never seen water port restrictors.

Even on a mild build, I like the RPM intake over the performer intake (if you have the hood clearance). Not the Air-gap RPM, but use the regular RPM. Make sure to get the intake that matches your carb style (spread bore or square bore).

Use a thick bead of rtv on the front and back ends of the intake and throw those end gaskets away.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:49 AM

Last journal entry: 310 Small Block Chevy
Last photo:

Gasket dope

I think the 4 restrictors that your looking at are the peices you put together to make the exhaust gas restrictors, they come in a little manila envelope in the kit, the peices sandwich together and theres these little tabs that come out of the hole you bend over to keep it together.

I think the resrictors come into play more when you have stock exhaust and the engine spends alot of time idleing in a hot inviroment.

If your running headers then the exhsaut gas deverter valve is long gone and there anint much gas traveling across the intake and you could probly leave them out all together.

Tags
454, bbc, gasket, head, intake manifold

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.