454, Long Rods, and Nitrous, oh my - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2006, 09:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

454, Long Rods, and Nitrous, oh my

Hello all. I've been lurking here for a while now, just never needed to post much because a little research on here usually answered my questions. However, I am now in a quandry and need some educated opinions and experience.
My 454 is currently in the process of being rebuilt. I haven't selected a camshaft for sure yet, but I'm going to go with a hydraulic roller, something in the 240-ish @ .050 range. Comp Cams recommended their Extreme Energy 294HR (242,248 @ .050). I've already purchased a new 4340 crankshaft, but I have hit a snag when it came time to purchase new rods. I've been reading a lot about the long vs short rod debate, and I'm currently thinking of going with a .250 longer con rod (6.385 vs 6.135). It is my understanding that in theory this should help with mid to upper rpm power, at the cost of low speed scavenging somewhat. I also understand, I think, that since the longer rod dwells at TDC longer, it would be possible for a long rod to develop more cylinder pressure, and since the piston will be moving slower, I would be able to reduce overall ignition advance without losing power. However, what concerns me is nitrous. I fully plan on using just a 'tad' of nitrous on this motor (fully forged 4340 crank and rods,forged pistons, stud kit on mains, deck and heads surfaced just enough to make sure they are flat, and good head bolts). With a long rod and nitrous, would cylinder pressure be uncontrollably high? The pistons I'm looking at running with the long rod also have thin (1/16) rings. Should I be overly concerned about using nitrous at all on this motor combination? What should I limit myself to applying? If I go the long rod route, any recommendations on the camshaft? Call Comp again and see what they recommend?
If I went with a short rod, I should be able to apply even more nitrous, since cylinder pressure wouldn't be as high, right? How much nitrous can be injected before I start running into other problems due to cylinder pressure? Either way, the nitrous system will have it's own fuel delivery.
Finally (I think), I'm looking to build static compression ratio at 10:1. Is there anyway this can be run on 93 octane pump gas? I read once, I can't remember where, that a long rod is theoretically capable of allowing a little higher compression ratio since the amount of ignition advance is reduced. Am I on the right track at all, or have I wandered down the unbeaten path?
Thanks for all your help, advice and opinions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nothing you do will makea dang bit of difference what rod you use. I doubt you can get a off the shelf cam that would benefit you long rod theory. I would use the longer rod to make the piston lighter so it's easier on the crank. Do a search on rod lenght, grab a snack, and a comfortable chair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.