Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 454 with no oil coming out of push rods
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 02:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

454 with no oil coming out of push rods

Need help. I have an 86' 454 in my RV with an engine knock. The engine has low mileage at 21,000 and has been well maintained. The noise started 2 weeks ago when I came home after driving 300 highway miles. I used a scope and found the noise loudest right above #1 cylinder. When I removed the valve cover (saw no sludge at all) and ran the engine I noticed no oil was squirting up from the push rods. I installed a mechanical gauge in place of the sender and got pretty much what the dash gauge showed: 42 psi at startup and mid 30s when the engine warmed up alittle. Still no oil and the knock occurs once in a while but not really by #1. It does seem to go away with increased rpms. Any ideas? Right now I have the oil cooler disconnected, thinking maybe one of the hydraulic lines had a restriction, but when I blow air through it, the flow seems fine. I'm concerned that a cam bearing is loose but not sure what to do next. Joe