Hot Rod Forum banner

454 odd ball heads

21K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  dieseldust 
#1 ·
I will attach some pictures off these 045 heads I just received with a lot off BBC parts I bought , can someone have a look and give me the scoop on them , I thought all peanut ports where small oval these are large oval port and have pass stamped in them, and looks like also someone smoothed things out inside intake ports, does anyone think they might ok to use, I know and have read all about how bad these small port small runner heads are but these look different on the outside,

Thanks
Jim

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like just a standard Oval Port BBC head, someone has done a port match at the intake face and blended down into the port a bit. Standard passenger car or light truck Oval Port, not the heavier truck Peanut ports.

Last pic you posted just shows some machining chatter in the throat cut is all, left from the lower cut in the 3-Angle valve job.

What size valves are in them??

#4 ·
. The 'pass'enger car oval ports heads often work better for mild street BBC engines than the too big rectangular ports that came on highest HP factory engines... give a fatter torque curve... better MPG...

. Even the truck BBC heads with the little oval 'peanut ports' good to up to about 450 HP, since even those ports are actually big compared to SBC head ports...

#7 ·
heads

Thanks Buzz,

My block is 30 over with dish pistons and is going in a1969 pontiac laurention canadian car
big and heavy , turbo 350 a 12 bolt with a 390 gear, I wanted to make about 375 to 400 hp and some good tourgue , mostly street and Friday night street legal s at the track, will the 045, s work.

Thanks
Jim

#9 ·
Thanks Buzz,

My block is 30 over with dish pistons and is going in a1969 pontiac laurention canadian car
big and heavy , turbo 350 a 12 bolt with a 390 gear, I wanted to make about 375 to 400 hp and some good tourgue , mostly street and Friday night street legal s at the track, will the 045, s work.

Thanks
Jim
I don' think you will get those HP #'s with those dished pistons.

#19 ·
heads

Well here s wat I HAVE available to me a holley 830 angular 4 corner adj, a qjet bbc 830 cfm carbs, a weiand stealth ane a stock covette mid rise factory qjet intake. I have a stock bore block with flat tops and the 30 over block with dish pistons

thanks
Jim

#22 ·
Well here's what I HAVE available to me: a holley 830 angular 4 corner adj, a qjet bbc 830 cfm carb., a weiand stealth and a stock covette mid rise factory qjet intake. I have a stock bore block with flat tops and the 30 over block with dish pistons. thanks Jim
. Looks like instead of swapping pistons, you can just swap to the block with flat top pistons, if usable...

. Will need to know the cc's of the various heads' combustion chambers to know what to put together...

http://www.summitracing.com/popup/calcsandtools/compression-calculator

. I'd use whichever carb. worked best last time it was used... unless willing to tune on them...

. Which intake manifold to use will prolly depend on your available hood clearance... as I recall, BBC's tend to be taller than Pontiac engines...

. Did your Canadian Pontiac come with a Pontiac or Chevy engine new?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.