454 oil wt question? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

454 oil wt question?

a long time ago i read that theres ( something ) << sorry for sounding stupid, inside of big block motors that are splash fed lubed and that running 30 wt/ 2050, and heavy oils like that wont allow this system to have enough oil thrown on them ?

if someone could answer this id be greatful, being i wont feel so dumb thinking about it =P

i run castrol gtx 20w50 with 1 qt of marvel mystery oil. everything seems to run fine, my truck had 5-30 in it when i got it and it didnt smoke out the exahust even under hard revs. not even with a quart of motor flush and a quart of atf added to clean the PO's neglect

just wanted to know what all of you thought on this

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 PM

Last photo:

marine motor

the motor in the truck is a 454 marine engine > 5XY application out of a yacht
Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 AM

Last photo:

The cam is splashed with oil. Same on the small block.

I try to run the thinnest oil possible, using hot oil pressure as the factor how thick the oil needs to be.

There is a company called BC engineering that makes an over cam oiling system for the BBC. $60.00 I think. I made my own for about 15. Seems to work well.

BBC's are hard on cams due to the extra lift BBC tend to have. Try to avoid strong springs and aggressive cams (quick ramps and high lift) if you use a flat tappet cam and want your BBC to live a long life on the street.

Plus todays emissions oils don't help either (low on anti-wear additives). ZDDPlus™ - ZDDP for Classic, Muscle Cars & More

Best to use a roller cam and forget about it.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYDOZOIS View Post
a long time ago i read that theres ( something ) << sorry for sounding stupid, inside of big block motors that are splash fed lubed and that running 30 wt/ 2050, and heavy oils like that wont allow this system to have enough oil thrown on them ?

if someone could answer this id be greatful, being i wont feel so dumb thinking about it =P

i run castrol gtx 20w50 with 1 qt of marvel mystery oil. everything seems to run fine, my truck had 5-30 in it when i got it and it didnt smoke out the exahust even under hard revs. not even with a quart of motor flush and a quart of atf added to clean the PO's neglect

just wanted to know what all of you thought on this
Anywhere from 10w-30 to 15w40 should be fine, providing the oil clearances are typical. I suspect you might be a bit on the thick side, but adding a quart of MM oil (about the consistency of ATF if not thinner, IIRC) will lower the viscosity, at least temporarily. How much I cannot say.

The only way I'd be worried- even using the straight 20w-50- would be if the engine was idled excessively. Once the engine is spinning at 2000 rpm-plus, there's plenty of windage blowing oil around. But that said, using excessively heavy oil costs HP and mileage. If there's not a good reason to use such a heavy viscosity oil, don't.

MM oil in and of itself is a poor motor oil IMO. As an additive it may have its place, but I wouldn't run my engine on 17-20% MM oil (1 qt. added to 4 or 5 qts. motor oil) unless the idea was to break down sludge or something like that. I would also expect the naphtha content (70-80%) to evaporate fairly quickly considering how volatile it is, leaving behind nothing but a dose of mineral spirits.

I would use a motor oil that contains the right amount of additives for a FT cam/lifters, or use the recommended amount of an additive like ZDDPlus added to a quality "over the counter" motor oil.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

i was thinking

i did think about running 10/40 in the truck instead of the 2050. i baby the truck in all ways so last thing i need is to hurt her internally. she aint much but i saved her from being chopped up and discarded, and shes fun to drive =]

i may change the oil today, theres a bottle of 10/40 in the garage from quakerstate =]
Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYDOZOIS View Post
i did think about running 10/40 in the truck instead of the 2050. i baby the truck in all ways so last thing i need is to hurt her internally. she aint much but i saved her from being chopped up and discarded, and shes fun to drive =]

i may change the oil today, theres a bottle of 10/40 in the garage from quakerstate =]
Sounds like a plan
Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

If you're running this engine like an old conventional 454 car that has no catalytic conveter, then adding zinc, or using oils with zinc is fine. If it has a converter the zinc will plug it, so in that case you need oils without zinc, or use additives that copy zinc, but are OK with a cat.
I personally run Brad Penn oil in all three of my old flat tappet engine vehicles. I'm using straight 30 wt. all year round, and I have had no problems.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
I would use a motor oil that contains the right amount of additives for a FT cam/lifters, or use the recommended amount of an additive like ZDDPlus added to a quality "over the counter" motor oil.
Obviously the statement above is if you have a FT cam/lifters. If you have a factory hydraulic roller, the over the counter motor oils are OK as-is.

Tags
marvel mystery oil, splash lube

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.