Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 454 performance tweak
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose2 View Post
I've never worked with a 454 before, and I'm thinking of getting a "basic" rebuildable from a local yard. I assume a garden variety 454 will put out about 300hp, and I'd like to target a mild upgrade to approx 400bhp. I hate to do it "barnyard style" (which is what I usually do) by just throwing a cam in it, boring it out, putting on an aftermarket manifold and a set of headers. Where do I go to get intelligent configuration information that would help me make smart choices to get to 400 hp??? Is there an on-line program that I can find that will let me plug in what I'm starting with and will feed me back decent options?? Anybody? Buehler?
It would be hard NOT to make 400 HP from a 454- even w/peanut port heads you can easily get that w/a XE268H Comp cam and 9-9.5 CR.

I think you might find it a little difficult to find a good core not already bored at least 0.060" over in a junkyard these days. If you do, expect to pay a premium.