Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 454 performance tweak
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm also not up to the task of making an LS work with the computer, and not willing to learn at my age either. I have however looked at LS options, and the possibility of making one work with a carburetor. They actually make kits that have a intake manifold, new water pump housing, and a cam to convert an LS to a carb and distributor!
The cam has a front drive gear, and the new water pump housing has a hole for a distributor to drop in. Can't remember which distributor, but it's a common one, so easily found new or used. The write ups I've seen say you'll lose a small amount of HP over an injected, computerized LS, but the ease of working on it, and lack of coil packs and crank trigger make it more appealing to me.
Another cheaper option is the LQ truck motor, which is a cast iron block LS, with aluminum heads. Not quite the HP, but easily upgraded to LS with some minor work. I see LQ motors often for around $500, where LS motors are rarely under $1500, even with some mileage on them.