Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Which 454 pistons for 063 heads on a budget
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I'm a noobie here. I prob messed up on the piston dome/dish when I figured my compression... Couldn't find a definate answer for what piston I had, actually compared summit/jegs replacement pistons.... My car is originally a 69 L36 390HP 427 car, Auto, 3.08 rear end. My sidepipes are HUGE stainless sidepipes with glasspacks removed and spiral freeflowing baffel in its place.. 2 1/8" individuals to 4" collector.. Unfortunately my Vette, sounds like a 73 pickup with a low compression 454 and oversized exhaust...

Yes, the 427 crank I have is forged. Now I understand our modern fuel is different but, why is (most) everyone recommending around 9-9.5:1? Reason I ask is the L36 that this car had was 10.25:1 and I've read that quite a few people are running 10-10.5:1 in 454s. So, If I were to rebuild this motor as an original L36 390hp 427 making 10.25:1 , wouldn't that be about even with a 454 making 9:1 using the same heads, similar cam? I think JE pistons are out, they are +$600. KB pistons, part#201 seem about right price wise and use thinner rings. But higher compression than advised here. Keith Black KB Performance Pistons KB201-030 - SummitRacing.com

These are the 427 pistons I was looking at using, just stock replacements.
Speed-Pro Forged Pistons ZL2300NF - SummitRacing.com

The only reason I want to keep my heads, is well, I already have them.. They just need rebuilt. New heads are out of the budget right now, and I would like to stay with an oval port setup as I'm not looking for huge numbers. If I spend $2000 on new heads, I might as well call up vortecpro and get a crate motor...... I was already thinking about larger valves to help it breath a little better though.

I understand there is no replacement for displacement but just looking for best bang for the buck...Teach me, I'm here to learn.