454 Powered Datsun Z Car...... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

454 Powered Datsun Z Car......

Hey guys, I just thought I'd share my little project with you all.

I know some are wondering why a big block when you can built a stout SBC for less? Well, because I like to be different. I've seen a few BBC Z cars, but all but 1 or 2 used motor plates to mount the motor. Motor plates work, but I wanted to drive the car anywhere without shaking the fillings out of my teeth.

Though it is true that a BBC weighes more than a SBC, it isn't by too much. Plus the increased power (torque) will easily offset the weight gain. But its not like I put a V8 in the thing in the first place to go autocrossing either.

I am upgrading my cooling system with a new aluminum radiator from Summit, which I had my brackets heli-arc'd onto the radiator tanks. No electric fan this time either, instead an engine driven flex-fan will be used.

I am continuing to use the stock R200 rear diff and the stock fuel lines with the Holley 'Black' fuel pump I used with the SBC. This pump is enough to get the car moving for the street, but not for racing.

The exhaust is a dual 3" setup with a modified Flowmaster. To be honest, its way too loud for me. I am going to end up having Dynomax UltraFlo welded race magnum mufflers under it before too long.

The next phase in the project is to get my R230 installed. I will have to get another custom made driveshaft for the R230 installation too. Afterwhich a new fuel system including 1/2" fuel lines, and a Aeromotive electric fuel pump. I also need to buy new rims and tires, prob Weld's and BFG's

Hopefully I'll have a 10 or 12 point roll cage installed over next winter.

After these mods I'll be ready for some racing next season. We'll see I guess.

I have my hands full, to say the least.

So, I am anxious to hear what you guys think? Also, if you have any questions, please ask.

Thanks guys!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 02:15 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Jeez lots of updates....

The car now has Dynomax Ultraflo race magnum mufflers and they exit in front on the rear tires (not shown).

New and updated pics guys:

New rims & tires and MSA front air dam:

Updated engine pics:

Auto Meter Sport Comp Dash:

Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 AM
I Love VTec

Last photo:

this car looks like a lot of fun
Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Cool, nice install. You did a great job of making it look easy.

Years ago I built this one for the track. Only pic I have though.
I stretched the custom glass front end, tube frame, engine plates, 454 W/PG tranny, 9" rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z-Car.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	24633  
Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Did you have to custom fab the headers? Didn't see a pic of them...but looks like a VERY tight fit.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Maybe we'll see you at Famoso? There was a Z car that used to run there, Jon Peters, I believe his name is, from my hometown of Visalia. He ran in the 7's. He's now building another car for the strip, I'd love to get his Z-car. You've got a cool project, keep us posted. Big motors in little cars, gotta love them. Dan
Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Did you have to custom fab the headers? Didn't see a pic of them...but looks like a VERY tight fit.
Yup, the headers are custom made from a pair of hedmen headers (cut/bent/re-welded). They are an extremely tight fit on both sides of the motor. The frame on the passenger side and the steering shaft on the driver side. If I had the motor sit any further down they wouldn't work at all, but I wanted more hood clearance and a lower center of gravity. I didn't want the whole car swaying because of the heavy motor mounted too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Maybe we'll see you at Famoso? There was a Z car that used to run there, Jon Peters, I believe his name is, from my hometown of Visalia. He ran in the 7's. He's now building another car for the strip, I'd love to get his Z-car. You've got a cool project, keep us posted. Big motors in little cars, gotta love them. Dan
I've tried to pass Famoso's tech and they won't let me run without a roll cage. They don't like IRS and any amount of HP/TQ together in the same car. Its understandable from their POW.

So, until I bite the bullet and find a shop that doesn't want my car to sit there for months until they decide to get around to installing the cage (at least a 10 point tied into the engine strut towers), the car won't be running at the track.

The funny part is I highly doubt the car will go faster than 12's due to my extremely limited traction. I currently have an open rear (I have a posi, but I am $1000 away from installing it) and combine that with hard street tires. I can't even floor it in first gear, at any speed without blowing the tires away.

I am sure the car will be considerably quicker with a cage to keep the body from flexing so much, posi to get it to both of the tires, and slicks to get it to the ground.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:25 PM

Last journal entry: Another alternator bracket change
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I love it! Nice fab work on the headers.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Stock, those cars never especially interested me. But your's will be nice! And it looks real good.
I had a friend who put a 340 in a 260Z once, that was a fun little car. The same guy now has a radically customized and modified MGB with a built 440 and dual quads. You would be very hard pressed to identify it as an MG.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:35 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies guys!!
Old 10-19-2007, 05:27 PM

nice

good job making that fit
people must wonder when they hear that go by,lol

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.