454 project is bringing me down! Need Advice!!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The machined surfaces have been cleaned and returned to bare steel, so has the timing area, As for the water jacjet holes that is overspray. I personally am not too worried about that part as i am starting it on an engine test/run stand, breaking in the new cam and then draining everything. I will be replacing the needed fluids once it is in the truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

One question, why not paint the timing cover area? many people paint the lifter valley. I' just asking because the timing chain area is alot closer as far as oil drain back than the lifter valley is. I would think that any contaminants in that area would reach the pan alot sooner than the lifter valley?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:23 AM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi1
One question, why not paint the timing cover area? many people paint the lifter valley. I' just asking because the timing chain area is alot closer as far as oil drain back than the lifter valley is. I would think that any contaminants in that area would reach the pan alot sooner than the lifter valley?
Only paint I have ever seen recommended for the lifter valley and timing chain area for seaing is Glyptol, an electric motor paint. It is quite expensive.

I was told a different theory that I beleive in, that paint is just something else to flake off and contaminate things, I prefer to smooth and polish areas as needed for oil drainback. Paint goes on the outside just to keep rust at bay.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:30 AM

Last photo:

I was unaware of the name of the product that some have used in the lifter valley. I was simply asking, all surfaces IN my engine are bare metal and only the outside is painted. I just got lazy at that point and didnt mask it off, I didn't actually save any time by doing this as I removed it before assembly and everything that was bare metal was cleaned with solvent and oiled up.

This is my first "real" engine build and I dont want anything inside that doesnt go there. Most of the over spray in the water passages wiped out during pre-assembly and I wil be completley flushing the system.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.