454 project is bringing me down! Need Advice!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 06:39 PM
83 BBC Trans Am

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

454 project is bringing me down! Need Advice!!!

I have a n 83 Trans Am that I have been working on for a while now. have swapped the turdly 305 for a 454. I had the thing running great for while before I pulled it out to make a few changes. I went to replace the oil pan and was doing an inspection of my crank assembly when I found something that I did not like. I had found a small portion of the rear main cap to be chipped and worn off which exposes the oil pump shaft. A buddy of mine told me that I needed to replace the rear main cap and send the block off to the machine shop for a line hone job. I purchased a set of used caps online and got them in the mail today. I pulled the caps out of the box and low and behold, the cap I was chipped in the exact same place. Has anyone heard of this before? It seems to coincidental for two caps to be messed up in the same spot for this not to be a semi-common problem. Then to make matters worse, today I pulled my valve covers off and spotted something else. I have the 781 heads and , on both sides in the corner oil passages, the outsides are what appear to be chipped out. I am wondering of the guy I bought the motor from did this for a particular reason or what. I am not sure what to do now. Do I run the motor the way it is or am I going to have to buy some new heads? Man, this week has been rough. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! I attached the best pics I had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	454-6.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	47648   Click image for larger version

Name:	454 1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	47649   Click image for larger version

Name:	454 2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	47650   Click image for larger version

Name:	454 3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	47651   Click image for larger version

Name:	454 4.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	47652  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

Both areas look to be normal casting issues. If worried, load it up and take it to a machine shop. I recall grinding a BBC main cap around the driveshaft and dont think it is a problem.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM
More for Less Racer

You're all worried over nothing, and you don't need to put new caps on the block, there is nothing wrong with the cap you have. The area you are worried about chipping in the cap is a non-load and non-locating area, the chipping is just the consequence of drilling a hole through the edge of a casting and in all likelyhood happened when it was machined at the factory, 90% of the caps you check will be the same way, and was that way right from the factory. As a matter of fact, a race engine builder would take a Dremel to that chipped area and carve it smooth slightly into the thicker section of the cap material around the hole, making the hole bigger but removing any thin metal that may be subject to coming loose in the future, just to be safe.

Same deal with the oil drain hole in the head, it came cast that way and who knows when the edge of the hole chipped, but any engine builder would get in there with a Dremel or die grinder and cut that casting flash back to more solid metal just to prevent any chance a another small piece of this thin left over casting material from coming loose and damaging another engine part., like the oil pump or worse.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:22 PM

I've been spending alot of time with my 86 454 and your picture labeled 454 4.jpg looks just like the oil return passage just in front of the #1 cylinder on my engine. I didn't think it was ok but seeing yours makes me feel better. I'm thinking it's just lazy GM not cleaning up casting waste. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:31 PM

I have seen this many times it is normal.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
More for Less Racer

You young guys are maybe spoiled by the casting quality of modern vehicle parts. what you are showing is par for the course in the old days, the factory rarely ever cleaned up castings. Areas were either as-cast or machined, no hand blending or deburring of any cast surfaces.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 PM
83 BBC Trans Am

Last photo:

454 Project.

Wow, that makes me feel better, I will grind the flashing down and lay that one to rest. I am pretty particular about my stuff so maybe I just worried too much. Thanks Guys. Saved me a lot of time and $$$$$$$.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtraynor86
I have a n 83 Trans Am that I have been working on for a while now. have swapped the turdly 305 for a 454. I had the thing running great for while before I pulled it out to make a few changes. I went to replace the oil pan and was doing an inspection of my crank assembly when I found something that I did not like. I had found a small portion of the rear main cap to be chipped and worn off which exposes the oil pump shaft. A buddy of mine told me that I needed to replace the rear main cap and send the block off to the machine shop for a line hone job. I purchased a set of used caps online and got them in the mail today. I pulled the caps out of the box and low and behold, the cap I was chipped in the exact same place. Has anyone heard of this before? It seems to coincidental for two caps to be messed up in the same spot for this not to be a semi-common problem. Then to make matters worse, today I pulled my valve covers off and spotted something else. I have the 781 heads and , on both sides in the corner oil passages, the outsides are what appear to be chipped out. I am wondering of the guy I bought the motor from did this for a particular reason or what. I am not sure what to do now. Do I run the motor the way it is or am I going to have to buy some new heads? Man, this week has been rough. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! I attached the best pics I had.
I took a small grinding wheel to mine to clean everything up and smooth everything out. I figured that cleaning the flash wasn't going to be much work but it may add a little bit of open volume area for oil and water to pass through, even if just a little.
I cleaned up the flash inside the water ports in my heads while I had them off during my rebuild. I looked for some pics but cant find any of the flash I removed, It only took a few minutes while I was rebuilding the heads.

Last edited by muddi1; 08-23-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

The oil drain back slots in the lifter valley also probably have casting flash around the edges.You may as well clean that up while you have your Dremel tool out,heres a picture of mine;

I polished the valley at the time,some people pain it with Glyptol or Rustoleum.its thought that either way will help with oil drainback.
Guy
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

You don't need to do anything- all the "issues" are non-issues, as has been said. Unless you disassemble the engine, leave the deburring until next time- you do not want to attempt to grind metal on an assembled engine.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

I did all mine while dis aasembled, I would never suggest doing anything while assembled. I deburred everything including the leading edges of the crank to help with windage. I figured "since I was there"

I wouldnt have done any of it had I not rebuilt.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
83 BBC Trans Am

Last photo:

On that note, I'll button everything up and drop her back in. I have plans to run her out to a 496 in the future so I'll take care of the flashing then. I was also planning on smoothing out the flashing on the outside of the block too. That should be some project!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

I did my block and heads, I tink i'm going to do the water pump too, I used 1200deg primer (2 coats sanded between each coat and 2 coats of 900deg engine enamel) heres a look..I also redid the timing cover,pan, and valve covers after bead blasting them..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	454 002.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	635.5 KB
ID:	47666   Click image for larger version

Name:	454 004.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	614.9 KB
ID:	47667   Click image for larger version

Name:	454 block 005.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	611.3 KB
ID:	47668   Click image for larger version

Name:	454 block 006.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	493.7 KB
ID:	47669   Click image for larger version

Name:	454 block 008.JPG
Size:	609.6 KB
ID:	47670  

Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

I also redid the valve covers, timing cover and pan with 1200deg black, the block itself took about 4 hrs in 1 hrs sessions, I have an injury so it could be done in shorter time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	454 block 002.JPG
Size:	840.4 KB
ID:	47671   Click image for larger version

Name:	heads 2 004.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	598.8 KB
ID:	47672  
Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi1
I did my block and heads, I tink i'm going to do the water pump too, I used 1200deg primer (2 coats sanded between each coat and 2 coats of 900deg engine enamel) heres a look..I also redid the timing cover,pan, and valve covers after bead blasting them..
You've got machined surfaces painted that shouldn't be, namely the thrust surface the timing gear runs against and core plug bores. I would never have painted the timing chain area either.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.