Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 454 race build
Thread: 454 race build
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

this isn't good

Ok guys I need some input on this I took it to desert thunder our local 1/8 mile track and made 3 passes not being to hard on the engine because it is fresh. after the third pass my wife and some guys that were watching said it started smoking during the pass. I did some looking and found a wet spark plug #3 cylinder I pulled the valve cover off and found the intake rocker was loose (stud backed out of the head) checked the threads reinstalled set valve lash fired up all was good no smoke. made another pass with a small amount of smoke at the end of the run so i loaded the car up took it home and pulled all the rocker studs thread locked (red) and put it all back together ran perfect.

yesterday 8-24-12 I took the car to caprock motorplex made 1 pass and halfway down the track the engine started backfiring through the carb I could see the flames under the cowl. before I could hit the kill switch the engine DIED.
after i towed the car back to the pit I pulled dist. its fine gear is good looked at gear on cam while cranking and no movement so it looks like the timing chain snapped. this is the chain I have on it Cloyes Gear C-3024X - Cloyes Heavy-Duty Timing Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com cam is comp cams lift is around 560 intake/exhaust pistons are 39cc dome tops with intake valve relief what are the odds that I can change the timing set and be good to go? Or is it more like slapped / bent valves pushrods = rebuilding this New engine.......

sorry for the long post but information is a good thing most of the time right

James B.