454 rebuild, showing no compression - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 02:41 PM
always proceed, go forward

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

454 rebuild, showing no compression

ok, looks like ther stuff hit the fan. I did a short rebuild on bbc, honed, new pistons, rings, cam, lifters, tchain, seals, gaskets and comes time to do first run in and its showing no compression (bouncing from 0 to about 40, but not holding). I didn't trust my old compression guage so i tried my older one, then bought a new one, all with same results. checked ring end gap, ok. checked valve adjustment, ok.

the rings are cast iron, cam is a mild rv cam (think its under 480 lift) hydrolic, springs are stock, rockers are stock, valves were within spec for play at the guides. The engine is a 1978 peanut port.

I backed off the rockers so there was plenty of play but still opened the valve, but still no compression.

any suggestions would be great.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Timing chain could be off. You need correct valve timing to make compression. Bring the piston up to tdc and watch the valve movement as you rotate the engine from there.

1 Intake should open as the piston starts down and should close when it is at the bottom

2 both valves should remain closed for compression stroke and power stroke

3 exhaust should open at the bottom and stay open as the piston rises. If one of the valves is opening on compression stroke it could cause what you are experiencing.

Chet
Old 03-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

checked this two times and the valve timing is on. I'm gonna check it again tomorrow but if timing is on and rings are right what else could be causing?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:05 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

This is really wild . The only two places that I know of where compression can leak off is pistons and valves . I assume that you staggered the ring end gaps .
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM

second guessing Rat that dont Run

Got me puzzled, Had one once with very slow spinning starter that wound up showing low psi, but that was solved after correct ground was fixed, here come the tuff questions, Is it Std bore?? I know one fellow who swore his engine was and wound up with .020 pistons in the bores....with an .030 overbore,
Okay second scenario, lets play Columbo... at least us old timers... What caused the early demise of this Rat originally? Overheated, etc...
My suggestion shoot some 40w oil into each cylinder you can get to, hopefully hit them all, then get a compression reading or even better see if it starts...
Last one I can recall we were working in the really hot miami sun and wound up getting pushrods mixed help from too many helpers, but thats an really ugly story.... please keep us posted
Sleeve
Old 03-22-2011, 07:12 PM

But wait theres more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invstr396
Got me puzzled, Had one once with very slow spinning starter that wound up showing low psi, but that was solved after correct ground was fixed, here come the tuff questions, Is it Std bore?? I know one fellow who swore his engine was and wound up with .020 pistons in the bores....with an .030 overbore,
Okay second scenario, lets play Columbo... at least us old timers... What caused the early demise of this Rat originally? Overheated, etc...
My suggestion shoot some 40w oil into each cylinder you can get to, hopefully hit them all, then get a compression reading or even better see if it starts...
Last one I can recall we were working in the really hot miami sun and wound up getting pushrods mixed help from too many helpers, but thats an really ugly story.... please keep us posted
Sleeve
IS this guy spinning over with no spitting and backfiring? My guess is timing is way out and compression is there just going up the valve, check harmonic balancer did not slip on the outer ring and give you a false TDC... yeah that one bit me too!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by theccrider
...its showing no compression (bouncing from 0 to about 40, but not holding).
Real good chance the timing set is incorrectly installed or you got a very badly ground camshaft. If the timing set has multiple keyways, be sure the marks are properly lined up. This is assuming the valve adjustment is positively not too tight, and the pistons and rings fit the cylinders as they should.

Ignition timing will not affect the compression gauge reading- the distributor can be laying on the bench and the compression readings would be the same as if the distributor were installed.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 AM

Last photo:

ring gaps are spaced correctly, ordered the pistons after pulling the old, they were standard. did the dry and wet test with no change on two cylinders. I got the engine about 18 yrs ago (I think Columbo was still on) and never fired it. don't know why I got it so cheap, but when I pulled it apart it had one bad (cracked) piston on the ring lands at the wrist pin. the timing chain is a comp unit dr lined up dot to dot, and the cam is from comp.

I'm gunna see if the cam timing is off today.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Are the heads torqued down? Are you sure the valves aren't rusty/stuck in their guides?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
the timing chain is a comp unit dr lined up dot to dot, and the cam is from comp.
Dot to dot? as in cam gear dot at 6 o'clock and cranck gear dot at 12 o'clock?
Tell me you didn't do that and drop the dist. in thinking it was at TDC.

On second thought, that would only matter if you tried to fire it up. sorry.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:27 AM

Last photo:

heads are torqued and heads were gone through. valves were free and clear with minmal play at guides. gaskets are fel pro and three stepped the torque sequence.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 AM

lost compression

i would start with a leak down test first before tearing that thing apart.check one cyl. at a time,make shure valves are closed and conect air pressure into spark plug hole and see if you can hear for air leak at exhaust or intake and crankcase this will rule out valve and ring leaks.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

- 180* off on "timing" the chain (crank turns 2x for ever 1x of camshaft)
or
- valves not seating - adjustment, camshaft, lifters, pushrods
Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 AM

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
- 180* off on "timing" the chain (crank turns 2x for ever 1x of camshaft)
or
- valves not seating - adjustment, camshaft, lifters, pushrods
X2 I second the motion, Try to get the damper at TDC and then check rockers on cylinder #1 to see relationship between #1 intake and #1 exhaust, my guess is you are 180 out at the cam/crank gear
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
ok, looks like ther stuff hit the fan. I did a short rebuild on bbc, honed, new pistons, rings, cam, lifters, tchain, seals, gaskets and comes time to do first run in and its showing no compression (bouncing from 0 to about 40, but not holding). I didn't trust my old compression guage so i tried my older one, then bought a new one, all with same results. checked ring end gap, ok. checked valve adjustment, ok.

the rings are cast iron, cam is a mild rv cam (think its under 480 lift) hydrolic, springs are stock, rockers are stock, valves were within spec for play at the guides. The engine is a 1978 peanut port.

I backed off the rockers so there was plenty of play but still opened the valve, but still no compression.

any suggestions would be great.
Assuming all is good with the rebuild, are you doing a compression test because it wouldn't start? Somethings I would have to consider is, did you do a pre oiling of the engine? Did you use hydraulic lifters that haven't been totally filled with oil yet? and, are you doing the compression test properly as in removing all plugs, blocking the carb WO, and using a good battery for optimum cranking speed? Someone on this thread I believe has hit it on the head and we need to figure out exactly what it is as all suggestions have been pretty well valid on what can be wrong. You need to go back to square one and figure out whats going on after you clear your head and get over the frustration. I can only compare it to drawing a bead on a trophy buck with a muzzle loader only to hear a click when you pull the trigger. Don't blame the gun, right?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.