Hot Rod Forum banner

454 rebuild wont stay running

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ignitrous 
#1 ·
Got my 454 BBC started and broke in. Changed the oil and filter and have driven it about 130 or so miles. It has been running rich but i didnt see a problem with it running rich, better than lean until i can spend more time fiddling with the carb. I started it yesterday and pulled it out of the garage to wash the car.
I washed the car and tried to start the car, it started and ran for a few moments then died out. Would fire for a short period then die out. Then i think i flooded it because it just wouldnt start anymore. Pulled the plugs and they were wet with fuel, wiped them off and tried again, got it to fire for a short period then died. Figured i'd go buy new plugs and try again today. Put them in and fired up the car for about 10 seconds or so and it just dies out. Started fiddling with the carb and checking my fuel line and making sure there was plenty of fuel in the bowls.

The motor is obviously a 454
BG 850 Silver claw DP carb
10:1 CR
hyd flat tappet 230/230 @ .050 (280H comp cam)
Mallory Hyfire sportsman VIIs
Brand new coil/module/cap/rotor

plugs are a few years old and one was burned through on the header a bit but has never cause any issues. I have new ones on order.

Ideas?

See less See more
#3 ·
im running without a choke and and wasnt having this issue any other time i've previously started the car.
The fuel pressure is up at like 9psi when the car isnt running and soon as it starts it drops to about 6psi. If i try and blip the throttle a bit it responds then dies. Every now and then it will spit a bunch of fuel out the top of the carb.
Now that im thinking about it there have been a couple of days i've gone into the garage and there is fuel sitting ontop of my intake where its leaked out of the throttle body of the carb...

Do i need to readjust the valve lash after the intial break in? Maybe im not getting enough air into the cylinder? Spark has to be good. Carb may be bad? My car sat in a storage unit for about 3 years without being run and this carb was on the old motor. Since i've got it back in my garage i put a new motor in and everything else is new/checked/reconditioned/replaced EXCEPT the carb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.