454 umbrella valve seals - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM
ss396si's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ny
Age: 36
Posts: 251
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
454 umbrella valve seals

This is my first build. I have a 454 w/781 heads and dual valve springs .im having a problem installing valve seals. Now I slide on the umbrella valve seal( comp cam 504-16) for the intake valve. It fits on nice and tight but the base of the seal does not reach the base of the retainer. Where the spring sit. Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	73488  

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 02:23 PM
68NovaSS's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nine Mile Falls, Washington
Posts: 5,217
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks: 99
Thanked 130 Times in 121 Posts
I don't see the seal in your picture, what am I missing?
__________________
Boost adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM
ss396si's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ny
Age: 36
Posts: 251
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
I don't see the seal in your picture, what am I missing?
I didnt take a pic of it with a new seal. The seal looked to short like it wasnt reaching the seat. Would the umbrella seal be fine over the valve stem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,691
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 403 Times in 348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396si View Post
This is my first build. I have a 454 w/781 heads and dual valve springs .im having a problem installing valve seals. Now I slide on the umbrella valve seal( comp cam 504-16) for the intake valve. It fits on nice and tight but the base of the seal does not reach the base of the retainer. Where the spring sit. Is this normal?
Umbrella seals are not so much a seal as a shield that rides on the valve stem to deflect oil away from the stem and upper guide. It is not intended to cover nor attach to the upper guide. See first attached picture.

Items that actually make a seal between the stem and guide require the guide OD be machined to a specific diameter, they then slide down that machined surface and are friction retained by a metal clamping device. The stem fits through the seal which wipes the stem but does not ride with it.
See second attached picture.

Bogie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UmbrellaShied.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	73510  
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
ss396si's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ny
Age: 36
Posts: 251
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
Umbrella seals are not so much a seal as a shield that rides on the valve stem to deflect oil away from the stem and upper guide. It is not intended to cover nor attach to the upper guide. See first attached picture.

Items that actually make a seal between the stem and guide require the guide OD be machined to a specific diameter, they then slide down that machined surface and are friction retained by a metal clamping device. The stem fits through the seal which wipes the stem but does not ride with it.
See second attached picture.

Bogie
Thank you, all I have to do is slide the seal on the valve stem down to it stops at the upper guide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
valve seals.. E.Furgal Engine 4 10-20-2012 10:26 AM
Umbrella type valve seals Torque454 Engine 11 02-07-2009 07:48 PM
Umbrella and viton seals on pre 1981 chevy small block? bowtie6 Engine 6 05-25-2008 03:50 PM
Umbrella Seal Clearance inside Valve Spring dirtydave Engine 3 08-28-2007 06:17 PM
Can the dual coil valve springs on a BB destroy Valve guide seals Auto-Part Engine 4 11-25-2003 05:23 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.