455 olds engine..hot number - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2003, 08:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

455 olds engine..hot number

1972 455 olds 88 engine over heating.......need some help......it's a stock engine 60,000 miles.........did all the normal fix it's.......thinking a bad engine block from the factory........need some help....I'm told they all over heat...........or the fuel we use today..rust in the block needs to be cooked out........I'm at a loss....thanks mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2003, 08:52 PM

you say its over heating what temp are you getting it up to? you say you have done all the usual stuff can you be a little more specific is the rad original water pump and so forth. As for who ever told you that they all over heat hes full of **** It should run just fine on today gasoline. I can't see there being enough enough rust inside the block to reduce flow enough to over heat it but I guess anything is possible if maintained poor enough. I you give us a little more info here we can give you a little more help
Old 11-24-2003, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the info............I've owned the car for over 20 years...I changed the water pump ...radiator...back flushed the engine...checked the radiator for exhaust gases (proved negative)the engine runs so hot that is cooks out the fuel in the carb while sitting after a test run......I have to crank the engine to refill the carb with fuel...........the engine I think should run at about 170...The car was purchased in Calif and did not have a fan shroud which I did put on along with electric fans in front of the radiator...I thought maybe the clutch on the fan wasn't working but it is...talked to another guy today about my situation and I'm leaning toward pulling the engine..........I really really like the car it's all white never rusted low miles and the top goes down...what more can a guy ask for.........it's a crazy deal maybe a head gasket on wrong or that rust deal....one of the exhaust manifold bolts are broken off...no other evidence of someone working on the engine...you ask for the story.........any hepl would be appreciated.......I used to drive the car in the summers not too much but, I did drive the car. It always over heated a little at idle..........now I can't drive the car......thanks mike
Old 11-24-2003, 07:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Make sure the system has proper pressure!! I once took a vacuum valve out of my dodge truck btw the water pump and the heater core and the thing wouldn't run cool. See if you can get an original diagram of all the components that are in the cooling system, because its not always abc 123. IF that rado is really 30 years old its time to get that bad-boy replaced or re-cored.

Don't yank the mill just yet.

K
Old 11-25-2003, 01:08 AM

Last photo:

So, something other than Pontiacs tend to run hot. I figure that you have already replaced the thermostat and things like that. Largest contributor to heat is retarded timing. It's very important to check not only initial timing, but insure that the advance weights in the distributor are moving freely. I also question your electric fans. Even if they are blowing properly, they are probably doing more harm than good at highway speeds. They might help a little while the car is sitting still, but that's about all. Also, verify the accuracy of your temp gauge to insure that it isn't lying about how hot things are.

What temp does it get up to at idle and at highway speeds? Anything under 200 is fine. You should start getting concerned about 230 degrees.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:37 PM

I agree timming is very important............I've checked the advance weights when I rebuilt the dist.............At that time I was having a problem when yoooou jumped on it......the engine would fall on its face then spped up.........The problem was the small rubber fuel hose next to the gas tank.........it was cracked and sucking air....that time I rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel pump prior to finding the cracked hose........that's ok the car needed the other things done....I'm over heating way over 230...............the car has a red hot lite thats all........I've used a digital temp gauge and ran it into the car so I could watch the temp. If I'm not moving it over heats...or at low speeds......Would you know what the difference is between a Ho 455 and a stock 455 for 1972...I'm really thinking about pulling the heads.....You know where thats going to lead........rebuilding the engine and I should redo the trans.......I'm going to keep the car so what the heck its only my labor.....I was hoping that another 455 owner had s problem over heating ....thanks for your advice
Old 11-26-2003, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

We need an Olds person to step in and explain the difference on the HO upgrade. Pontiac gave you better exhaust, hotter cam, and a few extra heavy duty items on the drive train. A fan shroud can make a vast amount of difference. The complete cooling system was designed for the shroud and you might only be getting a third of the cooling ability with it missing.

While the shroud will really help, I think you probably have other contributing factors. Check to see what water circulation looks like in the radiator. Leave the cap off on a cold start and see how much circulation you get after the thermostat opens. This might give you something to go on if it is poor. Basically when the thermostat opens, you should see quite a bit of water action through just looking down into the radiator. Another thing to check is how much crud has stuck on the outside of both the radiator and AC core. Branches, leaves and dirt get stuck in the fins, and can really reduce the air flow.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:00 PM

this may sound stupid

have u checked the lower rad hose make sure its a steel reinforce one. someone told me that he had a similar problem on a oldmobile tried everyting couldnt figure it out the he checked lower rad hose it collasped when engine get hot causing over heating change hose to reinforce one problem solved
Old 11-26-2003, 05:57 PM

I have a shroud on the car...I'll also look at the flow with the cap off.......I'm sure I did that at first but I'll look again...as for the lower hose........I'll change it and look at the old one...........as for HO 455 engines.......I 'm interested in as to the look of the engine as to heads and intake........I was told that on the cutlass the inner wheel walls are red in color.......I've never seen this.........thanks for all your help........I also would like to know if this engine package HO455 was available on a 88 model 455

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.