Hot Rod Forum banner

455 Olds repower for 5.7 Diesel - Headers?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tresi 
#1 ·
Hi Folks.

We all know that the Oldsmobile gas engines (350, 403, 455) were often used to re-power 78 - 81 Chev/GMC trucks that were originally equipped with the 5.7 Oldsmobile Diesel.

I'm curious because I have the opportunity to buy one of these ... a 1978 GMC truck that has been converted to a 455 Olds. I'd like to transplant the entire driveline (engine, trans, diff, and even the front clip) into my 66 GMC, but I don't want to be forced to use stock exhaust manifolds.

SURELY someone must have installed headers on this application?
Can anyone tell me for sure what fits?

I'm also looking at "pirating" the Power Steering and Power Disc Brakes, etc. I'm assuming that because this truck was originally a diesel, that it likely has a hydroboost booster as well. Has anyone ever install one of those in an old truck like mine? I'm thinking that might be a really cool thing to have if I was to cam that 455 up, resulting in low manifold vaccuum!

TIA,
Don

See less See more
#2 ·
I put an Olds 455 & TH400 into my '59 Chevy P/U. I installed '70 Cutlass headers on it. As far as the conversion, I used a BB Chevy kit & had the motor mount eyelets moved in about an inch.

The 455 Olds is a great motor that has a distinct sound...Turns a lot of heads just idling :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.