455 single or twin turbo ideas - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 09:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

you guys keep giving me ideas and i'll keep talking. i have heard of using one smaller turbo and then one larger one that picks up when the smaller cuts out, i dont plan on using this but my friends were asking how it would work, and when i started thinking about it i cant find a way that is unrestrictive. how is this done? would 2 turbos off from say the newer 5.9L cummins be as good as 2 TO4's? are after market always better than comparable stock type units? would turbos off from inter-cooled diesels be in better shape than those off from non inter-cooled? thanks.
im going out in a few weeks to look thru some yards for trucks and get an idea of how im going to fit these under my hood..... or maybe not all the way under my hood. i cant decide how sneaky i want to be with this car. i think the blow off valves will give me away enough and that will make all the honda drivers really wonder what is under the hood of that heavy old lemans.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Forget the compound turbos.......Dont even thing about it until you have alot more knowledge under your belt. It is very complicated when it comes to sizing and trial and error is about the only method. There is really no need for this anyway. What most people confuse is what is done on high performance diesels with compound turbos. In this case they are plumbed one large compressor into a smaller one. Boost pressures can run from 50-300 psi. This can not be done on gasoline engines.

The HX35's would be an excellent choice because they have integral wastegates. This way you dont have to install separate units. All the T04's that I know of are not wastgated. As far as performance you should not notice any real difference. The only problem is that they are designed for a little higher pressure ration than the aftermarket T04's. They have been used in the past by others with success. Aftermarket turbos are no doubt better because they are designed with a certain application in mind. BUT, and this is a big but, junkyard turbos have been proven to work time and time again. It may not be optimal, but it will still make more power than most street cars can harness.

Turbo condition should not have anything to do with intercoolers. They are not too picky. The main thing that will cause turbo problems is when the engine has been killed when the turbo is very hot and it has coked oil in the bearings. This kills turbos.

Chris
Old 03-05-2004, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboS10
The main thing that will cause turbo problems is when the engine has been killed when the turbo is very hot and it has coked oil in the bearings. This kills turbos.

Chris
Turbo timers help out a great deal, for this situation.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

where do you guys find this information? i think i will look into getting some books on it. I dont think i would want to run 2 diff turbos my friends were just asking how that would work.
Does any one know if the inter-cooler in the cummins would separate from the radiator or the price of new inter-coolers? im still thinking water to air.
whats the deal with some turbos having antifreeze going into them? this a good thing or should it be avoided? Im still only on the first page of this turbo thing so all the help and info i can get is very helpful. thanks
Old 03-06-2004, 01:49 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

DAMN ... WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT TO TURBO 455 PONCHOS ????? looks like ill be in good company when i build my 455TT for my 68 ...

my truck is still parked under that damn snowbank .... still hageling out a price for the garage ..... but all this turbo talk has me thinking about my c10 ...... 800 hp on the street ... mmmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-06-2004, 07:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Hugh McInnnes book "Turbochargers" and Corky Bells book "Maximum Boost" are the two turbo finatics handbooks. The first covers more theory and the second covers more practical application. I have also been studying this stuff and am involved in the jyturbo group for almost 3 years now. The group used to be very informative, but has become more of a chat line than a tech line. There are alot of very knowledgeable people on the list, but they are also flamers toward newbies sometimes.

New intercoolers are going to run in the $500 and up range I think at the dealers. You can get them off of ebay for about $300 last I checked. The dodge and the ford intercoolers both work nicely for front mount if you have the room. Unfortunately space conciderations kept me from doing this.

Water cooled turbos are mainly used to keep the dummy factor from killing the turbo. If you kill the engine with the turbo very hot, the water will help save the bearings by not coking the oil. There are alot of guys who run water cooled turbos without the water.

Chris
Old 03-07-2004, 10:20 PM

Last photo:

I have more room in front of the radiator than i know what to do with. would one inter-cooler out of a dodge be enough for the tt setup or would i need to run 2 inter-coolers for the 2 turbos? when you say kill the engine do you mean simply shutting it off too hot ? if so do you let it idle for a while to cool it down before you shut it off? i think a trip to the book store is needed. thanks for the help.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

One cooler should be fine and yes on the killing the engine part.

Chris
Old 03-08-2004, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

thanks, this is all helpful. so i should make sure the turbo spins still and isnt totally fried with carbon in the oil lines?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:35 PM

when checking over used turbos. check for shaft wobble side to side and up and down, as well as look closely at the blades to enusre there is no chipping on the fins. also look at the bearings for any excessive scoring and the integral wastegate for its movement.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:01 PM

Last photo:

its starting to get warm again 40 deg and everyones walkin around with out a coat, I never thought id find 40 warm. any ways i think i will be hitting the yards soon so hopefully i can pop some hoods and know what im looking for. as far as the chevy diesels in the 80's blazers and trucks go would those turbos have the integral waste gates and would they be large enough? I was getting the idea that they are on the smaller side of what i want. are the newer cummins ones better? The reason i ask is i know where quite a few old chevys are ( who doesn't) but not too many dodges. thanks
Old 03-09-2004, 04:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I am not real familiar with the chevy diesels, but I dont think the older engines were turbocharged. I think you are going to be looking for late 80's through mid nineties. They should be plenty large for your application. Probably will support 400 HP or better each.

Chris
Old 04-18-2006, 04:33 PM

what size turbos for twin setup

which turbos would be better for a dedicated turbo 350ci motor?one from a cummins or chevy or ford types?I may be new to turbocharging ,but i have an extensive machinist background and pretty fair general hi po experience,just need more info too avoid costly mistakes in time and money.so anybody want to touch this question?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

The Ford turbos are better suited for a single V8 gasoline application. In a well tuned engine they will support 5-600HP. The cummins would be better suited in a pair. They will only support about 400HP in a gasoline application.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:21 AM
youll see me sideways

Last photo:

455, what casting heads are you using?

i played with the thought of going turbo in my pontiac, didnt get very far, but i did find out that the stock 301 turbo ext. manifolds fit on the earlier 326-455
i dont know if they have the flow your looking for, but it beats spending countless hours making a set of headers.

just a thought for low-buck people like me

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.