455 single or twin turbo ideas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2004, 10:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

455 single or twin turbo ideas

I am thinking of supercharging my yet to be built pontiac 455. if i were to instead turbo charge it what size/ model turbo(s) would i need. also what are some common donner vehicles? It will be in a 77 lemans so i have a bit of room to work with under the hood. It will be set up for 1500-6000 or so if i dare rev it that high even. so far i have planned on an 8-71 with 2 holleys etc, lots of gas..... i have been thinking a good turbo set up might be just as good and a bit easier on the wallet. any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2004, 01:47 AM

Last photo:

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...rbo/index.html
Old 03-02-2004, 06:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

A 455 will work with about any of the Garrett T04 series turbos in a pair. There are not really any donor cars out there and the sizes vary wildly. You will have to look on small diesel engines for the T04s. Another good choice would be the chevy 6.5 diesel turbos. I think they are Rayjay brand, but I have never done alot of research on those in particular. A pair of those units would be capable of alot of HP, but would also spool up pretty quickly with that large cid engine. Another option would be any of the dodge cummins pickup turbos. The older Holset H1C is a little smaller and the later HX35 and HY35 are a bit larger with integral wastegate. I would say that the HX35 would be very well suited. It will take a pair of any of these either. If you want to go with a single turbo, you are going to be looking for a large diesel unit off of a 10-14 liter large diesel engine.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old 03-02-2004, 08:31 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:

Chris had been working on a turbo setup and knows the turbos very well.
Heres some site's that shows a few twins.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
Old 03-02-2004, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

I use two T04B's with V2 compressors. They people at Turbonetics can help selecting your turbos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine12.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1330  
Old 03-02-2004, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

awesome 455turbo. so far we have seen your engine on a stand, and mounted in the TA, why dont post some pics in your photo album. i for one would love to see more..

and im with you both on the twin turbo setup. i also think it will be easier to find a pair of smaller diesel turbos than one large unit. the big turbos are often designed for large pressure ratios rather than volume...
Old 03-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

I have tryed to get him to do this duece and he just refuses for some reason

It is an awesome setup as I have said many times before. Seeing setups like this make me know that I HAVE to own a TIG machine before long so I can so some aluminum and stainless piping on my S-10. Mild steel is just so plain.

Chris
Old 03-02-2004, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

some people just wont share I bought my TIG at a dealer who buys used industrial mashinery and this one was a little old and used for hil to sell so i got it for what equates to 120 dollars, with handle and regulator. it is however a DC unit,

You can actually also produce nice aluminum welds a little (alot) of practivce with an acetylene torch. it will yield some very nice results in aluminum thicker that 3/16.. ive seen peolle weld soda cans together with an acetylene torch and a henrob 2000 torch, so practice practice...

a MIG welder will also do aluminum if you add a teflon liner and a brass spiral at the wire nossle to transfer the current better. it isnt that hard, just turn the current down a little (it will be high enough because of the lower resistance of the wire) and crank up the feed. then its only a matter of changing the feed wheels to nylon and running argon. and youll get fine aluminium welds (especially if you preheat whet ever you are welding)

just somthing to considder for next time...

PS. ive said it before, all this turbo talk really makes me want to turbocharge my 454... if anyone is willing to trade an Enderle Stack injection for a set of TB04īs and wastegates im game...
Old 03-02-2004, 12:10 PM

Last photo:

Gee guys, it's not that I don't want to share I just don't have many good photos or time to put them together. Furthermore the car is apart as I'm adding power steering, a bigger alternator, serpentine belts, better cooling fans, and porting my heads.

There's still snow on the ground up here. When the weather gets better I'll take some more pictures.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

ah, myriads of great photo ops...

good luck with the projects, but might i submit a plea for some before, during and after shots of your porting ..

Jakob
Old 03-02-2004, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

how high of boost could i run if i have a 8:1 comp ratio to start with. I was talking to the machine shop and they thought i should o ring the cyls. the engine will be built around the blower/turbo setup so engine parts arnt that important yet. also how about a garrett gt25 i was playing around on http://www.turbofast.com.au/TFmatch.html this calc and thats what it recommends are they any good?also what could i do for a inter-cooler? would it be worthwhile to run one? thanks
Old 03-03-2004, 05:36 AM

Last photo:

My engine is 8.2:1 and I've run as high as 16 psi. I don't use o-rings but I am very careful about my ignition curve and air/fuel ratio. I have FAST fuel injection with a wide band O2 sesor so I have very good control over the engine.

An intercooler is a must at this boost level. I'd say that you couldn't use more than 8-10 psi without one. My intercooler is a custom made water to air system.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

i cant seem to find any price figures on any of the new turbos or intercoolers. I may look into used turbos off from the dodge cummins trucks. I was looking into water to air intercoolers and that looks like the best way to go. i plan on running the after market o2 sensors so i can keep an eye on my mix. cant go melting that expensive of an engine. are the newer dodge trucks intercooled? if so is it transferable? what system do they use? thanks
Old 03-04-2004, 06:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

O2 sensors are good. If you are going to try to do a carb setup you need to make sure that you have a wide band 02. Some EFI systems can use a narrow band 02 to plot and calculate fuel ratios lower than stoich, but wide band is always better. You can try contacting Jims Coolers for a custom water/air cooler, but it will cost you there is a link on this page:

www.toohighpsi.com

Later,

Chris
Old 03-04-2004, 06:48 PM

GOD!! I love all this turbo talk! Can't wait to get my turbo project finished!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.